engine guards - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default engine guards

So while I am in progress doing my repairs on my 84 vt700c, I was wondering...

anyone have suggestions for engine guards? The bike laid down on its left side, the damage was relatively minor, all things considered, but I still had to deal with a busted up gearshifter/bent gearshift spindle. I've been looking around on youtube and have seen a few people use what looks like studs drilled into the frame, but I also am under the impression that can damage your frame, which can be much worse than damaging the engine.

any thoughts?
proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Lots of engine guards/highway bars to choose from. I put a pair of National Cycle Paladin bars on my bike. Cobra seems to be a very popular brand too. The Lindby Linbar has "foot pegs" built into the bar. That was my second choice but I liked the look of the Paladin bar better (more compact).

I should add . . . everything bolted right up, using the existing foot peg bracket mounts and a U-bolt on the top end. No drilling or customized installation. Took me under 30 minutes to do the complete install, and I like to take my time.

2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
-Mustang Seat & Backrest
-Memphis Shades Windshield & Lowers
-Saddlemen Highwayman Saddlebags
-National Cycle Paladin Highway Bars
-Show Chrome Accessories Radiator Cover
-Kuryakyn ISO Pegs (Driver & Passenger)
-Kuryakyn ISO Grips
-Honda Luggage Rack and Sissybar
-Honda Saddlebag Supports

Last edited by DRVMN; 11-25-2012 at 06:59 AM.
DRVMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a Cobra bar on my Sabre. It mounted in existing holes, that were there from the factory. No drilling required.

2000 Shadow Sabre VT1100 C2

Last edited by Da Skipper; 11-25-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Da Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

And they are all the same whether called crash bars, highway bars or engine guards. I do remember one web site cautioning that no matter what the name, they really aren't designed to "protect" your bike in a crash, more to add accessories like foot pegs and lights.

here's a video from Cruiser Customizing on Highway Bars:

Play Video

tigrzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

IMO you can't go wrong with Cobra. Above average quality at a reasonable price.

02 Yamaha WR426
71 Honda CB175
byggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default engine guard

Had OEM engine guard (crash bar, highway bar, etc) on my 83 VT750 (sig pic) and they bolted to existing holes.

Although I never dropped it, it showed evidence of a hard spill while riding from PO and it did it's job - protected the left side of the engine/shifer, etc. Was a hard enough hit to bend it back far and dimple the exhaust pipe, and although it was mostly straightened back out, I suspect damage would have been much worse w/o it.

Don't think you can find aftermarket ones for these vintage Shadows, but the OEM ones show up occassionally eBay/CL (PRICEY).

Wish I had removed mine before I sold the bike as I'm sure I would have gotten the same price for the bike w/o them and could have easily sold them for $100-150!

Good luck in your search!

98 Shadow ACE 1100T (Tourer)
87 VT700 - sold.
83 VT750 - sold.
rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement