Jumper cables - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Here's what you need something like this. Could probably make it out of parts for less though.

2-Piece Motorcycle Jumper Cables

A 2 piece jumper cable system where you leave one part constantly connected to your battery and only have to carry the "jumper" section. It's strong, light, easily stored and easy to use.

The "whip" that attaches to your battery is 18" long, so you can easily place the connector plug out of the way and out of sight until needed while the Jumper Cable section is 12' long so you have plenty of room to connect up to another vehicle.

Part of the benefit of these cables is, unlike other 2-piece jumper cables, it uses the same 2-pin connector that other accessories like Battery Tender chargers, heated clothing, and air compressors.

One thing to remember when using the jumper cables in conjunction with other accessories is that, to use our jumper cables, you MUST replace the whip that came with your Battery Tender or heated clothing with the Jumper cable whip. The one that came with other accessories is a smaller gauge wire (usually 16-18awg wire) and will not carry the current to jump off a bike or atv. The EZ-Jump cables are a heavier 10AWG wire to allow for the larger draw from jump starting.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Looks like what I need to install. Wonder if the dongle will work the the battery Tender Junior?

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitulu View Post
From my experience with a similar issue...i hooked the jumper cable ends that came with the battery tender into the dongle and tried to jump it. It did not work, and the tender had a flashing redlight when I tried to use it. After looking at the cables, I noticed that, when the cables ends were hooked in, black was positive and red was negative. This was because the jumper ends are supposed to hook into the tender itself. As a result, the inline fuse was blown in the tender.
So, if I want to jump using the cables that came with the battery tender, I need to reverse the wires. Correct?

As to the wire guage/melting, I just don't see it hooked up long enough to do any damage. May test it out to see. After I replace the fuse (****!). Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

If you use the light guage battery tender cable to jump start your bike it might only takea few seconds to melt the wire and blow up your battery or blow your main fuse and god only knows what other damage, take the post advice use a heavier guage wire thats what they are made for to handle more amps.
vonh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Test complete. Jumping from a car will burn out the 15a fuse. So I removed that. Tested again. The wire guage was too small to allow enough amperage to the bike to get allow it to turn over. Wires were not hot at all.

So, I left the car hooked up to the bike (Click and Clack the Tappet brothers taught me this trick). After an hour the motorcycle battery had enough juice to start. Still had to leave it on the tenda overnight to get it fully charged (putting it on a charger would have been better).

Have not tried bike to bike, but figure if one was fully charged it would work.

Need to be careful about connecting positive to positive. I had the alligator clips that came with the battery tender and had to put the black on red. So be careful if you do this.

Steve-O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.