Chain removal procedure - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Chain removal procedure

Hey guys, just bought that Motion Pro chain remover/press/riveter tool. It's a nifty little gadget. I attempted to remove my chain with it last week, and I failed miserably. I actually ended up breaking the extractor pin that was designed to push the pin out of the chain. Here's my question:

How do you remove the pin from the chain?

According to instructions and most internet videos, you just put the tool on the chain and push the pin through! But, I also didn't notice(nor did they mention) that if it was a master link they were extracting from, or another random link on the chain. I saw a few videos with a grinder of some sort to grind down the rivet from the master link to push it through. I would do that if I had such a tool...

Any ideas?
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacealraid View Post
Hey guys, just bought that Motion Pro chain remover/press/riveter tool. It's a nifty little gadget. I attempted to remove my chain with it last week, and I failed miserably. I actually ended up breaking the extractor pin that was designed to push the pin out of the chain. Here's my question:

How do you remove the pin from the chain?

According to instructions and most internet videos, you just put the tool on the chain and push the pin through! But, I also didn't notice(nor did they mention) that if it was a master link they were extracting from, or another random link on the chain. I saw a few videos with a grinder of some sort to grind down the rivet from the master link to push it through. I would do that if I had such a tool...

Any ideas?
With the larger chains you have to grind the head of the riveted link off first, it will come right out after that.
Dremel, file, drill with a grinding disc

Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

^^
I 2nd what he said
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

@(#*. I have no such tool... Guess it's going to have to wait until I can get my hands on one x_x.
Red/Black
Blue/Blue

Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Many manufacturers recommend against using a clip style master link. I have never had one fail.

Unless you are using a very high quality chain rivet tool, it WILL give you problems. As said, grinding off the head of the pin in usually the quickest, easiest way to go. Just be careful with the O rings on that style of chain. Also pay attention to the link plates when you remove links or you may be removing an extra link.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Went ahead and bought a Drimmel, as I knew I'd be using one anyway on other projects. I'll tell you how the chain exchange goes.
Red/Black
Blue/Blue

Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just did this about 2 weeks ago with the same tool. You need to grind off the rivets, then use the tool to push one out to break the chain. You don't need anything special for that part of the job, a drill with a grinding wheel, a punch and hammer will get you that far. The MP tool is especially handy to seat the plate on the new chain, and of course essential to set the rivets. Follow the directions, mine worked great!
number13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Just finished up. The only thing I was concerned with was the riveting process. It seems to be secured on there fairly tight. It cost me a fair bit, but now I have the tools to do it in the future.

EK Chain: $112
Motion Pro Tool: $72
Drimmel 3000: $73

The tools cost me roughly 2 hours of labor, so I will save if I intend to keep this for a few more sets of chains/sprockets.
Red/Black
Blue/Blue

Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Just finished up. The only thing I was concerned with was the riveting process. It seems to be secured on there fairly tight. It cost me a fair bit, but now I have the tools to do it in the future.

EK Chain: $112
Motion Pro Tool: $72
Drimmel 3000: $73

The tools cost me roughly 2 hours of labor, so I will save if I intend to keep this for a few more sets of chains/sprockets.
I use my dermel probably more than any other power tool I have.
aside from air tools.

Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
@(#*. I have no such tool... Guess it's going to have to wait until I can get my hands on one x_x.
Try using a file to grind down the pin. Most chain tools can't push the pin through w/o grinding.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.