HELP!! Bike won't start - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP!! Bike won't start

I'm no good at trouble shooting so hoping someone can give me some ideas of where to start. I'm NOT mechanically inclined so any help would be appreciated. (92 VT600 with 42K miles)

So I bought another VT600 to turn into a bobber. High mileage but runs (well.. ran) great. Finished conversion today and now it won't start. I haven't don't anything at all to the engine or anything else that should impact it starting.

Started everytime on the first hit of the starter until yesterday. Yesterday I kept hitting the starter and it would turn but not fire. Could smell the gas and see gas fumes out the exhaust. Thought that since I was messing with throttle earlier I had flooded the engine. Let it sit and later it started up. Stopped and started it a few times with no issue. This morning the same thing happened but after a few seconds it fired and then ran great. Rode it around. Stopped/started a few times. Let it sit a couple hours and now.... it turns and turns but will not start (killed battery trying so had to hook it up to charger... tried again... same).

deadshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Charge the battery then get a good sparkplug, unplug any one of the plugcaps and plug it into the spare plug, using a piece of wood press the thread of the spare plug against the metal of the engine and look at the electrode, watch for a spark..repeat this for all four plugs..If you have a good spark on all four then you either need new plugs or you have a fuel fault..if you have no spark you have an electrical fault..

Before you do any of that, one question..

Did you remove the air filter?

Oh and put a rear fender on before you ride anywhere wet...Thats why we call them Mudguards..

John.

Last edited by John Hopkins; 12-02-2012 at 11:08 PM.
John Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post

Oh and put a rear fender on before you ride anywhere wet...Thats why we call them Mudguards..

John.
I agree......not to mention if you were to slip off of that little seat.....well lets just say you won't be singing jingle balls anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

When I grow up......ahh hell I ain't plannin to do that!
Sgoatley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yep, trouble shoot the ignition system. Get a good manual and just follow the steps. Check the stickies here and see if yours is available if not thats your first move. If you plan on keeping the bike get the shop manual its expensive but money well spent!! Then if you don't understand a procedure we can help you.
vonh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshadow View Post
I'm NOT mechanically inclined
I haven't don't anything at all to the engine or anything else that should impact it starting.
Removing the mufflers IS doing something to the engine. I would start looking for the problem there.

gat803 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think she's mad at you
luisr320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes...she is mad at me. I made her so very ugly.

Started right up each time after removing the mufflers....until this weekend of course.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hate to ask but have you made sure that the kill switch is on? Don't ask me why I'm asking . . . .
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes....however, the engine turns regardless of which position the kill switch is in. It has been suggested to me that I look into that as well.....if it was some issue with the kill switch wouldn't it completely keep power from going to the motor?? (Rather than turning over like its doing?)

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

So it seems the issue did have something to do with the start/stop switch. Took it apart and cleaned/reinstalled and started right up. Hopefully that's the end of it. Thx for ur help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.