aux power wiring - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default aux power wiring

So I spent last night installing a power outlet to run my phone on the bike. I wired it super simple by running directly off the battery. The problem is that when I plugged in my USB adapter, it popped and sent up a little puff of smoke (it was fried) what did I do wrong? I have wired one of these in many times and never had an issue. Could the battery be to strong to wire it in directly? could I somehow have gotten the wires backwards? Would that even matter? Any help would be appreciated
Kel

Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to steve2010

Sounds like your + is grounding somewhere,

steve2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure what may have caused your problem but I installed a grounded fuse block to run all accessories to so I did not clutter up the battery. Makes adding things easy and you benefit from blade type fuses should anything go south rather than the inline fuses that come with some aftermarket stuff.

"If you're not on at least one watch list then you're not really living"

1992 VT1100C
Thayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like it was just wired backwards. If your outlet is like mine, it's got two black wires, instead of a black and a red. Usually, one side will have little ridges running the length of the wire. That side should be positive. You could also check polarity using a multimeter. Positive probe on the inside wall of the socket. Negative probe grounded to the bike. If you've got it backwards, you'll show 12 volts.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I checked the side to the frame and got nothing voltage wise so it appears it is wired correctly. Does it NEED an in line fuse to bring the voltage down maybe? I'm at a loss here.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Fuse won't bring the voltage down but definitely necessary to protect the battery and other wiring on the bike from damage should there be a problem. If you got a puff of smoke, it may have fried a wire or the outlet itself. This may cause an issue in finding the issue.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com App

08 VT750C2 Shadow Spirit
SnoGhost13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

You need an inline fuse to protect your equipment and battery. Just run it off an existing fuse from the fuse box there's very little power draw from what your doing. Maybe the line you used was defective maybe try another. With no fuse the weakest link will blow.
vonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelKel View Post
I checked the side to the frame and got nothing voltage wise so it appears it is wired correctly. Does it NEED an in line fuse to bring the voltage down maybe? I'm at a loss here.
Now, I'd check to see if the plug still has power. If your probe is long enough, positive probe to the dot centered inside the bottome of the plug. Negative probe grounded to the bike. If the plug is still working, you'll show 12 volts. If not, you may have fried the plug.

Like the others have said, I'd definitely look into fusing that wire, at the least. If you have plans to add other accessories in the future, I'd look into an aux fuse block. Below is the one I put on my bike. I can walk you through it, if you'd like.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelKel View Post
So I spent last night installing a power outlet to run my phone on the bike. I wired it super simple by running directly off the battery. The problem is that when I plugged in my USB adapter, it popped and sent up a little puff of smoke (it was fried) what did I do wrong? I have wired one of these in many times and never had an issue. Could the battery be to strong to wire it in directly? could I somehow have gotten the wires backwards? Would that even matter? Any help would be appreciated
Kel
What burned up, the outlet or the usb adapter? There is the possibility that the outlet or usb adapter was defective. For the power outlet the wire going to the center conductor should be battery positive and the side conductor is ground or battery negative.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

I did the same that Convict It saves alot of trouble for adding someting later down the road, plus it is easy to get at
NationalCycle lowers,
Show Chrome Dual Switch, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs,
Kuryakyn ISO Grips & Throttle Boss,Kuryakyn Offset Dually Hiway Pegs
Steve750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement