Honda Shadow Forums banner

Clutch problem

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SkullCrusher 
#1 ·
Anyone know what the issue could be?
I'm really new to working on motorcycles, when in 1st I have to fully release my clutch before it starts moving. The other gears the clutch feels normal, just first has no response until almost completely released.

Sent from my Zio using Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
What bike? Mileage? What kind and age of oil? Hydraulic or cable clutch? Hydros tend to release very high, anyway. This is normal for a wet clutch, to a point.. Especially in 1st and if motor on on the colder side. Clutch lever adjustments should help.

#4 ·
Its on 86 vt1100. New oil, hydraulic clutch, it does feel I little stiff, the clutch wasn't grabbing at all. I opened the clutch cover and tightened the locknut. It worked fine for a like up and down the street 4 or 5 times. Then just first gear has the problem all others feel normal response when releasing the clutch

#5 ·
Try flushing and bleeding the clutch. Pull the slave off and withdraw the clutch rod, roll the rod on a table, is it straight? While you have the slave off inspect piston for scoring. What kind and how heavy of oil? Might be a soft spring, try adding a shim/washer under the lock nut, might help some also. Could be your 30 year old clutch is due for a change.

#6 ·
Yeah its probably a good idea to change out the clutch. Just bought the bike last month. Its an Xmas present for my father. So I'm not really sure what's been replaced and how long ago.
I'll try bleeding the clutch and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.