tire questions - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
bullheadpond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
On a Shadow as long as the speed rating of both tires is above 100 you'll be good. Actually could get away with much less on a commuter bike. As said above you really don't need to worry about the rating, unless you are riding fully loaded, at full pressure and at sustained speeds above the rating. Can a Shadow exceed the rating of tires available for them? A few can, most no way.

As for Bias vs radial, as far as a Shadow is concerned, use whichever you prefer. Don't mix Radial and bias, the differences in handling can make things get squirlly. But again you might not ever feel it on the typical street ridden bike.
THank you 93gc40 .
bullheadpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Aced It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In your garage stealing parts off your bike
Posts: 2,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheadpond View Post
THank you 93gc40 .
Wha ...... I get nothin?
__________________
Visit My Road to Bob for my '91 VLX600 build, and My Road to Rod for my '03 ACE750 build.

Cast your vote here: August 2014 Ride of the Month


Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
C.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 1,498
Default

You've got the spoke rims on your 08 Aero which need tubes. I don't know if running tubes in a radial tires is an issue or not, but I think that is why most tires for this bike are bias ply. You can run a 170/80 on the rear with no problem. You could go with a different brand tire. OEMs are to keep costs down and are not the best tire IMHO, unless for some reason you are dead set on getting the Bridgestones.
__________________
2008 Aero 750
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
bullheadpond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 83
Default tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced It View Post
Wha ...... I get nothin?

OOPS ! By bad Thank you too! and everyone else on here. If fact thanks to your link i may buy my tires from that Jake Wilson place. If they truly have free ground shipping on tires it would save me about 20.00.
bullheadpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Aced It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In your garage stealing parts off your bike
Posts: 2,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheadpond View Post
OOPS ! By bad Thank you too! and everyone else on here. If fact thanks to your link i may buy my tires from that Jake Wilson place. If they truly have free ground shipping on tires it would save me about 20.00.
Hehe ... cool. Good luck with it!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
Visit My Road to Bob for my '91 VLX600 build, and My Road to Rod for my '03 ACE750 build.

Cast your vote here: August 2014 Ride of the Month


Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
bullheadpond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 83
Default tires help please

This is driving me nuts.
honda shadow aero 750 2008

Can i put a 120/90-17 64h bridgestone g701 on the front
and a 160/80-15 74s bridgestone g702 on the back?

every where i look no one has two of the exact same rated tires in stock.
At least not at decent prices.
bullheadpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Aced It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In your garage stealing parts off your bike
Posts: 2,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheadpond View Post
This is driving me nuts.
honda shadow aero 750 2008

Can i put a 120/90-17 64h bridgestone g701 on the front
and a 160/80-15 74s bridgestone g702 on the back?

every where i look no one has two of the exact same rated tires in stock.
At least not at decent prices.
In the two links I gave you to Amazon for front and rear tires, these are the Bridgestone G701 and G702; both are 'S' rated. Front is $101.99 and rear is $135.10. They will ship from two separate places, but you're purchasing through Amazon ... and your saving a whopping $2 on the rear tire, LOL!

Amazon.com: Bridgestone Excedra G701 Cruiser Front Motorcycle Tire 120/90-17: Automotive Amazon.com: Bridgestone Excedra G701 Cruiser Front Motorcycle Tire 120/90-17: Automotive

Amazon.com: Bridgestone Excedra G702 Cruiser Rear Motorcycle Tire 160/80-15: Automotive Amazon.com: Bridgestone Excedra G702 Cruiser Rear Motorcycle Tire 160/80-15: Automotive


I don't know what you would consider as a decent price through a giant, and those aren't bad - AND - you're getting free shipping!
__________________
Visit My Road to Bob for my '91 VLX600 build, and My Road to Rod for my '03 ACE750 build.

Cast your vote here: August 2014 Ride of the Month


Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!

Last edited by Aced It; 12-07-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
bullheadpond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 83
Default tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced It View Post
In the two links I gave you to Amazon for front and rear tires, these are the Bridgestone G701 and G702; both are 'S' rated. Front is $101.99 and rear is $135.10. They will ship from two separate places, but you're purchasing through Amazon ... and your saving a whopping $2 on the rear tire, LOL!

Amazon.com: Bridgestone Excedra G701 Cruiser Front Motorcycle Tire 120/90-17: Automotive

Amazon.com: Bridgestone Excedra G702 CruiserRear Motorcycle Tire 160/80-15: Automotive


I don't know what you would consider as a decent price through a giant, and those aren't bad - AND - you're getting free shipping!
Maybe i'm just not seeing it but i don't the S rating on those tires from Amazon. i don't want to order them and end up with 2 different speed ratings. Shiiping mught be free to me but i would have to pay a small fortune to send them back if they are wrong.
bullheadpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Aced It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In your garage stealing parts off your bike
Posts: 2,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheadpond View Post
Maybe i'm just not seeing it but i don't the S rating on those tires from Amazon. i don't want to order them and end up with 2 different speed ratings. Shiiping mught be free to me but i would have to pay a small fortune to send them back if they are wrong.
Scroll down the Amazon page to the spec table. Speed ratings are in there.

Also, don't forget tubes!

I can understand your thoughts about sending back, but you shouldn't need to.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
Visit My Road to Bob for my '91 VLX600 build, and My Road to Rod for my '03 ACE750 build.

Cast your vote here: August 2014 Ride of the Month


Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
bullheadpond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 83
Default Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced It View Post
Scroll down the Amazon page to the spec table. Speed ratings are in there.

Also, don't forget tubes!

I can understand your thoughts about sending back, but you shouldn't need to.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Well i order the tires through amazon. . Thanks Aced it. But i was paying so much attention to ordering the right tires that i forgot the tubes even though you mentioned it. How important is it to replace the tubes and the band? Do they really get worn out being that that they are inside the tires? Would a 15" tube be a 15 " tube or are there variables with the tubes like the tires?
bullheadpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum