tire questions - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheadpond View Post
Well i order the tires through amazon. . Thanks Aced it. But i was paying so much attention to ordering the right tires that i forgot the tubes even though you mentioned it. How important is it to replace the tubes and the band? Do they really get worn out being that that they are inside the tires? Would a 15" tube be a 15 " tube or are there variables with the tubes like the tires?
15" (/17") is only your rim size. You will need the correct specification for inner tubes to match with each tire size.

I myself would recommend replacement of the tube and the band at every tire change. Some will tell you upon inspection that there may not be a need. But, sometimes the tube can get pinched on removal or install, or the rubber can break down, etc ... I say do it (.)

Yet another reason I went tubeless.

Are you having a shop do the install?

Cast your vote here: August 2014 Ride of the Month

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Most mc shops/dealers have them in stock. $20-$25 a piece usually.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

are these the right tubes for my bike?
front 120/90-17
back 160/80-15
1634159 - BikeBandit.com front
1634159 - BikeBandit.com back

the guy at bike bandit says the 170/80-15 tube will work just fine with a 160/80-15 tire? any one ever done this?
bullheadpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheadpond View Post
are these the right tubes for my bike?
front 120/90-17
back 160/80-15
1634159 - BikeBandit.com front
1634159 - BikeBandit.com back

the guy at bike bandit says the 170/80-15 tube will work just fine with a 160/80-15 tire? any one ever done this?
Is a shop changing out the tires for you once you get them? If so, see if they have the tubes in stock. If not, you want to find a tube that says the tire size in the name somewhere. For the front tire, that would be a tube that is between 4.25"-4.5" and fits a 17" rim. For the rear tire, it would be a tube that is for a tire 6.5"-6.75" fitting a 15" rim. It's okay if you don't get the EXACT same size as long as the tube is slightly SMALLER. It stretches ... while a tube too large will crease and wear, eventually failing. Any shop changing your tire should be able to select the right tube for you and you should always change the tube with the tire.

Cast your vote here: August 2014 Ride of the Month

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced It View Post
Any shop changing your tire should be able to select the right tube for you and you should always change the tube with the tire.
Concur. But there is some debate about it. My perspective: The cost of new tubes is insignificant when compared to the inconvenience of a tube failure.

Rim flaps (Honda's term) should also be replaced. They are basically large rubber bands that keep the tubes from rubbing on the ends of the spokes. They are much less expensive than tubes -- maybe $3/each. Some shops won't change them unless you request it.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Default tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced It View Post
Is a shop changing out the tires for you once you get them? If so, see if they have the tubes in stock. If not, you want to find a tube that says the tire size in the name somewhere. For the front tire, that would be a tube that is between 4.25"-4.5" and fits a 17" rim. For the rear tire, it would be a tube that is for a tire 6.5"-6.75" fitting a 15" rim. It's okay if you don't get the EXACT same size as long as the tube is slightly SMALLER. It stretches ... while a tube too large will crease and wear, eventually failing. Any shop changing your tire should be able to select the right tube for you and you should always change the tube with the tire.
Putting them on myself unless i can't find these stupid tubes.

So this is not the right sizes then? bike bandit told me

their "Tube Size 4.00-17, 5.10-17, 130/90-17 " Will work for the 120/90/17 front tire
and
their "170/80-15 tube " will work for the back tire size 160/80-15

arn't the tube sizes they gave me bigger than my tire size?

Last edited by bullheadpond; 12-13-2012 at 02:58 PM.
bullheadpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement