starter switch - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default starter switch

Can anyone tell me what are the signs that a starter switch needs to be changed. Does the bike get gradually harder to start , or does the bike just not start with no warning at all. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

The switch is an on/off momentary style. But I wouldn't go blaming the switch without providing some information as there are many reasons why your bike either won't start, or becomes harder to start. What bike, and what are your symptoms?

Cast your vote here: August 2014 Ride of the Month

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

My bike is a 2007 Aero with 24000 miles on it. The problem is that a couple of times it was hard to start and almost didnt start. Then it goes back to a normal quick start as if normal . I had the battery checked and it is fine .I was thinking it might be the start switch. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliusc View Post
My bike is a 2007 Aero with 24000 miles on it. The problem is that a couple of times it was hard to start and almost didnt start. Then it goes back to a normal quick start as if normal . I had the battery checked and it is fine .I was thinking it might be the start switch. Thanks.
This is a good starting point (see pic) ... Start simple and go from there.

Cast your vote here: August 2014 Ride of the Month

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is the starter engaging fully when it is hard to start? As in, is it cranking over and not starting? When the starter switch itself goes bad the indicators are usually the headlight doesn't turn back on when the bike is started or the starter goes in and out of engagement erraticaly.

Damian

'00 Sabre

damian.garcia83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

When my starter switch started acting up it would work intermittently, sometimes only catching a contact briefly to make a click. I would wiggle the switch while pushing it in to try and get some contact going on, and it was then I could tell by the way it was behaving the switch was the problem. I did the starter switch maintenance cleaning, and it still acted up. I ended up having to take it apart again and stretch the spring that pushes up on the stunt strip to make the contact good and strong. Lubed it, too. That worked.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to gypsy

The start button can be a tweakie week link, sometimes engaging the starter and sometimes not... It can be disassembled and cleaned. Also, you can jump across your solenoid batt to ground with a good piece of heavy gauge wire. If this kicks the starter the probably the handlebar button... Like I said, they are often the weak link.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement