Electrical Problem - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Electrical Problem

2002 Honda Shadow VLX 600

I was driving home from work the other day and was sitting at a stop light. As I drove off I kind of hit a dip going through the intersection (not sure if the uneven pavement is related or just a coincidence). Next, my motor shut off and nearly immediately after all my lights shut off and I lost power. I immediately checked the connections on my positive/negative cables and the fuses all of which turned out to be fine. I removed the battery and took it to AutoZone and it tested good. Which, I've heard of bad batteries testing good before. I went ahead and bought a new one, but haven't charged it or installed it yet. Has this happened to anyone else before? I'm hoping it's not the stator since it seems difficult to replace. If it is the stator does anyone know where I can't get pictures of where it's located and how to remove it? Tried google and haven't come up with any pics.

Last edited by the_gambler; 12-12-2012 at 09:06 AM.
the_gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Understand your concern, but you are getting a wee bit paranoid. Make sure the bolts on your kickstand are tight. Going over the dip might have accidentally activated the kill switch on the kickstand.
big poppa pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big poppa pump View Post
Understand your concern, but you are getting a wee bit paranoid. Make sure the bolts on your kickstand are tight. Going over the dip might have accidentally activated the kill switch on the kickstand.
That would be a great place to start ^^^. but should not affect lighting.
What year and model?

check the positive battery cable, follow it and look for anywhere it may be chafed and shorting to the frame.

check the wiring running from the stator to the regulator, the connector with the 3 yellow wires, check for anything burnt or chafed and grounding or shorting out. you can also do a continuity test on the startor, see if you have any open or shorted windings. Download a manual if you dont have one.

check the wiring at the regulator for melted insulation, and shorted wiring. you can also run the bike and move the key in the ignition switch slightly to see if it will duplicate your problem.
also run the bike, and wiggle wiring starting at the ignition and working your way along the harness, see if you can find a short.

Last edited by Scrapdog2grand; 12-11-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think the kickstand would just shut the motor off it wouldn't cause me to lose all power. And besides nothing in my life is that easy.

I will check the wires, but after messing with it for awhile I never did get power (in response to trying to run it and move the key). I will say I jiggled the key during my troubleshooting before I disconnected everything.

I've been doing more and more digging and have seen that Honda uses cheap wires. It'll probably be pricey, but I may just replace them all. There's nothing I hate more than breaking down on the side of the road and calling my wife (who btw didn't want me getting the bike in the first place) to come get me.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just out of normal posting, if you are having problems with your scoot you should always start your post with year and model and engine size of your scoot so we know what your working with.

But most bikes have 2 main kill fuse's. One near the battery/fuse panel depending on bike type and year and the second is usually under the seat on the starter motor or nearby.

I would start there, and just out of dumbness sake, have you checked your battery terminals for looseness, frayed connections, corrosion. A bad ground can have detremental affects on a bike, but dont believe would cause all those issues, however a main fuse can kill everything. I'd start fuse hunting if I were you..

Also now thinking about it....possible ignition switch. Go buy a 10 dollar DC Light tester from your nearest auto part store and start testing hot leads coming off battery terminals....if you get power all the way to the ignition switch but nothing coming out when the key turns on, then you got yourself a bad ignition switch.
chasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think maybe I misread your post....is the bike dead in the water or was it an intermittent power failure?
chasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasec View Post
Just out of normal posting, if you are having problems with your scoot you should always start your post with year and model and engine size of your scoot so we know what your working with.

But most bikes have 2 main kill fuse's. One near the battery/fuse panel depending on bike type and year and the second is usually under the seat on the starter motor or nearby.

I would start there, and just out of dumbness sake, have you checked your battery terminals for looseness, frayed connections, corrosion. A bad ground can have detremental affects on a bike, but dont believe would cause all those issues, however a main fuse can kill everything. I'd start fuse hunting if I were you..

Also now thinking about it....possible ignition switch. Go buy a 10 dollar DC Light tester from your nearest auto part store and start testing hot leads coming off battery terminals....if you get power all the way to the ignition switch but nothing coming out when the key turns on, then you got yourself a bad ignition switch.
I have to agree. A test light or multi meter is faster and cheaper that replacing parts by guessing.
I have found the test light to be more reliable because it does put a slight load on the wire to light the bulb. A meter might show the voltage you should have but because of a loose connection etc as soon as you put a load on it you loose power.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gambler View Post
I think the kickstand would just shut the motor off it wouldn't cause me to lose all power. And besides nothing in my life is that easy.

I will check the wires, but after messing with it for awhile I never did get power (in response to trying to run it and move the key). I will say I jiggled the key during my troubleshooting before I disconnected everything.

I've been doing more and more digging and have seen that Honda uses cheap wires. It'll probably be pricey, but I may just replace them all. There's nothing I hate more than breaking down on the side of the road and calling my wife (who btw didn't want me getting the bike in the first place) to come get me.
As noted above I'd be looking for a Chaffing/shorting wire, or bad/loose switch, loose fuse in a socket. Something like that, this does not really seem like a part failure, motre awearand tear issue. Just be carefull when diagnosing Electrical issues. The motor dying and light dying might and likely are connected, but they might not be. shorts and such can be the hardest issues to diagnose and fix. Mainly due to the amount of dis-assembly required to replace bad wires. As for rewiring the bike.. This is probably alot cheaper and easier than you are thinking. That is if you do your own work and buy materials at the local hardware store and NOT the Motorcycle shop ot automotive supply.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Won't be the stator. Bike would still run on battery power until the battery ran down. Do you have a multimeter? If not, how do you know that the fuses are good. I would suspect battery, emergency stop switch, kickstand switch or main fuse.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasec View Post
I think maybe I misread your post....is the bike dead in the water or was it an intermittent power failure?

It's completely dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement