06 VT750C clutch slipping - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default 06 VT750C clutch slipping

I noticed last night while riding that my clutch would slip if I got on the throttle hard. If I twist slow and smooth on the throttle the clutch doesn't slip. Also today while riding I went to shift to 5th and it didn't go into 5th. It felt like it was between 4th and 5th. Heard some noise form the clutch. I went down to 4th and back up to 5th with no problem, but the slipping. My bike has 63,000 miles. It slips in gears 2-5. Should I replace the clutch or spring and cable? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think your looking at 3 possible problems:

-oil has gone bad

-clutch lever needs to be adjusted

-your clutch plates are worn and need to be replaced.

Sounds to me like your most likely going to have to replace the clutch plates - I'd pull them out and examine them at the very least.
proto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

I'd say that your plates are worn and it's time for new ones. Avg rebuild price is around $150 for a good rebuild kit.
Another reason your clutch might slip is that you are using the wrong oil.

dernp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I was having the same issues on my vlx at 58,000,,I had the clutch and cable replaced. What a world of difference.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would approach this one of two ways:

1. Do it all, oil change $30, new springs $8, new plates $150, check cable adjuster if cable is has adjustment left or not.

2. Try oil change $30 and new springs $8 only. On some of the bigger vtwins an oil change helps 4th to 5th gear shifts for some unexplainable reason.

The problem with number 2 above is if it doesn't solve the problem you're taking the exhaust back off, foot control, and side cover to get back in there to put in new plates. I guess it comes down to how important is $150 to you if you'd just do it all in the first place.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcspencer211 View Post
I noticed last night while riding that my clutch would slip if I got on the throttle hard. If I twist slow and smooth on the throttle the clutch doesn't slip. Also today while riding I went to shift to 5th and it didn't go into 5th. It felt like it was between 4th and 5th. Heard some noise form the clutch. I went down to 4th and back up to 5th with no problem, but the slipping. My bike has 63,000 miles. It slips in gears 2-5. Should I replace the clutch or spring and cable? Thanks.
I recently rejetted my bike. After it was all back toghether, tuned, and neighborhood ride tested it was perfect. During the inaugural ride to work the day after I decided while I was on highway to see how much better the top end response was and how much better it would handle a quick wide open throttle twist.

The engine revved way up and the bike slowly caught up to the engine revs. I was deflated. All the time and money and NOW the clutch goes out. But, these things are supposed to be indestructible and I only had 15K miles on it. That's what the dealerships told me when I complained about the clutch action while it was under warranty.

Turns out, I forgot I tweaked the adjustment of freeplay a bit. After I backed it off a turn or two it runs just like it did the day I bought.

Also, the springs in these clutches are notoriously soft and prone to compressing out of tolerance length. A set Barnett springs ran me $14 from Amazon.
GilaMinumBeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Also, the springs in these clutches are notoriously soft
If there is one thing that drives me nuts about Honda is their spring selection, even the front fork springs are way too soft. Must be some 4' Japanese engineer designing this stuff.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaGreg View Post
If there is one thing that drives me nuts about Honda is their spring selection, even the front fork springs are way too soft. Must be some 4' Japanese engineer designing this stuff.
You know, I've always thought that, to myself, too but have never had a reference. The Honda service manual doesn't offer much in regard to checking their tolerance either. Pretty much leaves it to 'push down on the bars and if the forks spring back, they are working'...wtf?
GilaMinumBeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks for the info. It has been a great help.

Tcspencer211
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

When I raced dirt bikes back in the early 70's the first thing we did was shim the clutch springs for more pressure on the clutch plates, even on a new bike.
Here is what I did to my VT1100-T back in '09 and my clutch hooks up better today than my bike did when it was new back in '99
No More Slipping Clutch(the cheap way)

I have over 70k miles on the bike and I don't see my clutch going bad anytime soon. The clutch springs that Honda use are very weak, also if you take out the bolts that hold the springs be sure to go buy some better bolts.

ROD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.