engine oil case - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default engine oil case

first of all, Merry Christmas eve
well, i have started the long journey of taking the engine apart to replace the head gasket. I got 1 of the top off. But before I can take the cam shaft off, I need to adjust the cylinders to a specified position. This is what my manual says.
2 questions go with this.

to adjust the cylinders i need to get into the side case, It has a screw cap on it. I have no clue how to get it off because its way to big to put a flat head on it
here is a picture highlighted in red.
View image: enginecase

question 2. after i get that open. what tool do i use to move the cylinders to the right position?
thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should be able to use a quarter to remove it or a large flathead screwdriver if its too tight (which it shouldn't be). Once you're in there, use a breaker bar like this: Craftsman Flex Handle Breaker Bars 944201 - SummitRacing.com

As long as you have the correct size socket, I think its 15mm iirc on the 1100's, you should be able to line everything up just fine. Not sure on your 500 if its the same.

Damian

'00 Sabre

damian.garcia83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

clamp your coin in vice grips
rkjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkjjeep View Post
clamp your coin in vice grips
What do you mean? in aid to get leverage?

also so far it didn't work. I used my biggest flat head and even a mallet to bang on it and its not coming off. I am going to keep trying a few other things but any other suggestions?

Also, is it at all even remotely possible to remove the head gasket without taking it out of the frame. I really really don't want to do that. for 2 big reasons. I dont have really any of the tools to properly lift it and its just that much more time...

Last edited by computerfixit524; 12-25-2012 at 03:25 PM.
computerfixit524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just did this same repair. On my new to me 86 vt500. Spray some liquid wrench around the round cover. Not alot. You will probably have to beat it out with a large head flat screwdriver. Lay it against the against the engine at an angle and hammer counter clockwise. It will eventualy come loose.

The engine will have to come out of the frame to do head gaskets. Not enough room even if you take the coils off. I was worried about the weight of the engine too. I got a $20 floor jack at walmart to hold it up while I removed the bolts then lifted it out.

I have a $49.99 tool kit from autozone that I used. Just follow the service manual and you can do it.

Sent from my VM670 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Jts3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jts3008 View Post
Just did this same repair. On my new to me 86 vt500. Spray some liquid wrench around the round cover. Not alot. You will probably have to beat it out with a large head flat screwdriver. Lay it against the against the engine at an angle and hammer counter clockwise. It will eventualy come loose.

The engine will have to come out of the frame to do head gaskets. Not enough room even if you take the coils off. I was worried about the weight of the engine too. I got a $20 floor jack at walmart to hold it up while I removed the bolts then lifted it out.

I have a $49.99 tool kit from autozone that I used. Just follow the service manual and you can do it.

SIIIIGGGHHH, ok well guess ill be getting on my way for this. Ill go look for a floor jack tomorrow at walmart or something

Last edited by computerfixit524; 12-25-2012 at 09:22 PM.
computerfixit524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

actually i just thought i have some standard car jacks to change tires with, would those work?
I would preferably not like to buy anything more for this cycle. Even though i got it really cheap i have already put 800 in it.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

They could work. Depends on height. All I had were suv jacks so they wouldnt get low enough to get under the bike. I also u bolted a piece of 2x4 to the jack head and used some tie down straps to hold the block to the board. Big piece of advise get Liquid Wrench and soak the bolts a day ahead of teardown. It will help a ton.

Jts3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

A small scissor type jack for an import car will work.

Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapdog2grand View Post
A small scissor type jack for an import car will work.
thats actually exactly what I have, ill just pull 2 from my truck and other car so it can be stable.
Advertisement