New Front Brake Pads - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage

I have mentioned a few times before but may as well add one more time. EBC pads tend to make a zzzhh zzzhh sound until you use the brake and then it goes away fro a while but slowly returns. The stock Honda pads do not. With some experimentation it was determined that the EBC pad grooves are different from stock Honda pads and that is the reason. Most people say they get used to it but it bugged me so I went back to Honda pads.

G.
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to aaron_jo

The new pads I put on are actually the stock pads, just like the originals.
aaron_jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb069 View Post
I have mentioned a few times before but may as well add one more time. EBC pads tend to make a zzzhh zzzhh sound until you use the brake and then it goes away fro a while but slowly returns. The stock Honda pads do not. With some experimentation it was determined that the EBC pad grooves are different from stock Honda pads and that is the reason. Most people say they get used to it but it bugged me so I went back to Honda pads.

G.
EBC's HH pads are designed to actually transfer material over to the rotor as part of their bedding process. You'll see this after a forced bedding process or just after x many miles as the rotors will get noticeably shiny from all the sintered metal material filling in the gaps. They can be especially loud until this process is completed, but then they're typically quieter than stock in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_jo View Post
ZackDaniels: I tested the rotor like you suggested. I rode on the freeway for 5 miles and got to a parking area with just minimal braking. The rotor was very cool to the touch. I felt some warmth to the rotor, but it was definitely cool in temperature. Thanks for you suggestion. I feel better about it now.

To others that are talking about dragging, I don't feel any drag. It's more of a friction sound. On my previous stock pads, I did hear this same sound, but much less noise. At the time, the mechanic at the Honda shop told me it was fine after I described it to them.

After riding around a bit on the new pads, the sound seems to be getting lower. So I'm thinking everything is normal. I know I installed the pads correctly. Thanks again for all your insights.
Sounds like you're fine. Keep an eye on it and as usual with new pads be sure to leave yourself extra following distance until they're bedded in. There's less surface contact until the grooves line up and as a result less stopping power than you might be accustomed to. From the sounds of it everything is normal and should quiet down as the pads bed in.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackDaniels View Post
EBC's HH pads are designed to actually transfer material over to the rotor as part of their bedding process. You'll see this after a forced bedding process or just after x many miles as the rotors will get noticeably shiny from all the sintered metal material filling in the gaps. They can be especially loud until this process is completed, but then they're typically quieter than stock in my experience...
Hi Zack . I put some EBC on, noticed the noise, checked with Honda tech and he recommended a few hundred miles break-in. Can't remember if they got quieter or I just got more used to the buzz but at 200 miles I gave up and put Nissen (Honda) pads back on and no buzz at all so never went back.

Just curious as to what range mileage break-in for the EBC? I still have that set and may try again. Also does anyone know if the pad size is the same on the VT1100C2 as the VT750CD and I can try the EBC pads on a 750.

G.
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Garage

I have EBC's HH pads on the max and they were making the 'zzzhh zzzhh' you described until bedding in. I bed them quickly by doing several 60 > 20 slow downs and riding on. So it only took me a week or so and less than a tank of gas. They've been quiet since... and they don't squeal on hard stops like the stocks had a habit of. You can visually tell when the HH pads are broken in as the rotors look shiny and flat from all the transferred material.

The 06 Max also has dual wave rotors in front which is closer to what EBC primarily designs these pads for. I put the HH on the rear too which is fixed, but never noticed anything but high pitched squeals on stops out of the rear due to the engine and exhaust covering up all that going on behind me. It might not ever quiet down out on a fixed rotor as they're a little noisier than wave to begin with.

I don't know if I would put HH pads in front on a traditional cruiser anyway. I would think the extra hard bite on the lower center of gravity the riding position offers might cause the front to lock too easily. It's not as much of a concern on standards and sports because the centripetal force causes all that weight to dive down more instead of scooting forwards. I would at least look at upgrading to stainless steel lines and being sure the fluid was fresh before going straight to harder biting pads. That's what I'm doing on the Softail, and fully intend to stick with stock or maybe as high grade as organic on it's front caliper.

Last edited by ZackDaniels; 01-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement