Need electrical advice - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need electrical advice

Having a small issue, more annoying than anything. When I start the 07 Shadow Aero my digital tripometer will sometimes reset to zero. It seems to happen if I have to push the electric start for longer than 4 or 5 seconds. It doesn't happen when I start up with full choke because the bike fires right up. It happens mostly if I stall while riding and have to restart, for example bike stalls because I didn't flip to reserve quick enough. Pull over, flip to reserve and restart, my trip went to zero. Is this a design flaw or should I be thinking weak battery?

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Heel/toe shifter
DarkAero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds more like a battery issue, either a weak battery or bad terminals or some loose connection. The tripometer should not be resetting when the bike stalls. The only time I've seen this reset is when I disconnect the battery cables or the speedometer cable.
Get the battery load tested. If battery comes back good, would suggest cleaning the terminals and making sure the cables are bolted down tight.
big poppa pump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks! I will do those things tonight

Heel/toe shifter
Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Heres an easy test, run a few miles then disconnect the battery, if the trip meter resets then the fault is partly because the battery has low voltage, however I would expect these things to have a capacitor to hold the voltage long enough to keep the display long enough to change the battery, but as this is only a trip meter Honda may not have considered it important..

John.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks John. I tightened my battery connections and I will try your suggestion tomorrow.

Heel/toe shifter
Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

It will definitely reset as soon as you disconnect the battery. Mine had done the same thing recently and I've noticed it turning over a lot slower on cold mornings too. I started plugging in the battery tender every time I park it and it's made a big difference. I suspect a load test will indicate a battery nearing the end of it's run.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nothing wrong with having the battery load tested to be on the safe side and it is usually free at auto parts stores but I suspect holding the start button for an extended time is the same as disconnecting the battery. Power is directed to the starter and ignition while holding the button to aid in starting. Lights and other functions not necessary to the starting process are disabled to give maximum power to the starter.
Schattenreiter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Like said , check the connections and grounds. Back in the 70's, I used to work on plenty of KZ650/750's that had ground connection problems, we at the dealer knew this, but customers go crazy trying to diagnose theose electrical problems. At any connection ,you can do a voltage drop test by setting your voltmeter on DcVolts, and placing one probe on one side of the connection being tested, and one probe on the other side of the connection, then hit the starter, if you see anything above about .2volts, you have a weak connection. A perfect connection would read zero volts across the connection under a load. This works on testing long sections of wires too, but you have to have power going threw the wire, to test it. One way to picture this in your head is,when you put a meter on each terminal of your battery, you get 12volts. That's a 12volt DROP between + and - of your battery terminals, because there's nothing but air between the two battery terminals,100% bad connection=12volt drop. Also do the load test on the batt. ,there's a good chance it's on it's way out.

1984 Goldwing Aspencade
Coolride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.