Vt500c back firing - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vt500c back firing

So I have a 86 vt500c. Its back firing on one cylinder and seems like its not firing with full steam on that cylinder. And it was kinda weak. I took it apart just now to see what's up. I was going to change the spark plugs and when I grabbed the rear-most plug wire, I think it was loose! I don't think it was actually snapped onto the spark plug.

So I plugged it in and put everything back together, but haven't started it up yet. I'll do that tomorrow during the day.

My question is, would one plug not firing cause the back firing and the weakness?

How do you change that plug anyways?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Motorcycle.com Free App
ken99287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Vt500c back firing

Ran it this morning. It runs a heck of a lot better, but still backfires upon decel. If I am gentle with the throttle, it's pretty nice and smooth, but if I'm at WOT, it's kinda jerky... like its not always firing on all cylinders. Its haulin', then it kinda bogs, then it takes off again, then it bogs...

I guess I should pull and replace all 4 plugs.

Is it possible to get the plugs out without removing the [I think] valvecover?

What else could it be? I searched and found so much stuff on what to do if the vt500 doesn't run right, but I don't know where to start! There's just so many little quirks to these bikes!

When its running right, the thing is a lot of fun and rides very nice! (I think it does look a little goofy with my knees almost touching the handlebars!)

Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Does the bike have the airbox, stock filter, stock carb jetting, and stock pipes?

The two difficult plugs can be removed with an 18mm thin walled socket with the round edges on the top ground down, and a wobble extension. Or you can pay for the Honda plug removal tool.

1981 cb750c with 900f forks, cams, oil cooler.
1983 vt500c
1979 cbx
still_bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

It has an air box. Not sure if the filter is stock or not. It looks to be in good shape and clean, its orangish red. Does not look as dark as k&n red. Not sure if jetting is stock or not, but I took the carbs apart and cleaned it all out to get it running. Exhaust is stock. One of the coils has junkyard paint pen writing on it - it must be a salvage part.

Maybe the thing just needs ridden hard for a while. Its been years since its really been run.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Have a good inspection to make sure the carbs are completely seated in the intake boots, and that the airbox is securely fitted to the carb intakes. Air leaks can cause a lean mixture which may cause backfiring.

Also may want to pull off the intake boots and inspect them for cracks. If in doubt replace them.

A high flow air filter may also cause a leaner condition, but I wouldn't think enough to cause frequent backfiring.

1983 vt500c
1979 cbx
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wonder if shimming the needles with washers would work on this bike. I did it on my nighthawk and it's much more responsive.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Slow down!!

Fix your issues than modify as you like.

1983 vt500c
1979 cbx
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

It can't be that big a problem, I think. Its right on the edge of wanting to run right and not... just gotta find that thing or two that's not "just right".

So since one of my spark plug wires wasn't plugged in, that spark plug's gotta be really fouled. Is it possible that its still not firing because of how fouled it is?

So the back firing is caused by a lean condition? Hmm... gotta find out why...

Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken99287 View Post
So since one of my spark plug wires wasn't plugged in, that spark plug's gotta be really fouled. Is it possible that its still not firing because of how fouled it is?

Not likely as you have another one in that cylinder as backup. So were your carbs properly seated?

1983 vt500c
1979 cbx
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'll check it right now. I was busy after work buying and installing a new dishwasher for my fiancée. I figure since I bought and installed it, I shouldn't need to do any dishes! Unfortunately, I don't think it works out that way...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.