Pinched vent line? - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
If you don't see a vent tube on the bottom of the tank, most likely vented throught the cap. Be careful this doesn't happen to you. This is from lack of venting from a cap

This very thing happened to my 03 ACE, be very careful !!!
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtrax View Post
I know this might be frowned upon but is there a way to eliminate the canister under the radiator and all the extra stuff associated with it? I have this same issue intermittently and it makes me think my evap system isn't working properly.
I wondered that myself. It would probably be illegal in California due to higher emission control standards. Don't know about other States. Never looked into it.

Ride Bell by El Dog Star
Engine Guard
Passenger Backrest
Utopia Driver Backrest
Fuel Tank Punch Mod
Throttle Lock

Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion
VFW
Bro Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Eddie View Post
I wondered that myself. It would probably be illegal in California due to higher emission control standards. Don't know about other States. Never looked into it.
Well I'm sure it's just al legal as pulling emissions stuff off any other vehicle...or removing baffles. Lets face it sometimes things can cause more harm and hassle if they aren't working properly. Improperly jetted carbs would be worse for emissions trouble IMO.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

sopo......your problem might just be a need to change fuel filter. I'm not as well versed with the 750's but I wouldn't rule out a vent tube pinching in your case as well. Take a look at those little fold-over clamps that hold the black rubber tube. The just maybe pinching the hose nearly closed. Not sure if they are located like VT1100's in the plastic radiator cover.

Bro Eddie, ya can take all that stuff off (as per instructions from others) but I'd try to get it working first. Might just be a pinched hose or a filter to be changed. Besides, it maybe less costly than removing all the emissions stuff and re-jetting, syncing the carbs, etc, etc, etc.

Bullzeyet
bullzeyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullzeyet View Post
sopo......your problem might just be a need to change fuel filter. I'm not as well versed with the 750's but I wouldn't rule out a vent tube pinching in your case as well. Take a look at those little fold-over clamps that hold the black rubber tube. The just maybe pinching the hose nearly closed. Not sure if they are located like VT1100's in the plastic radiator cover.

Bullzeyet
thanks. I am lacking in self confidence it seems. I don't have my bud here to oversee me this time. I can't even seem to find the frigging vent hose. I did change the spark plugs today. Hope I torqued them right. Couldn't remember how loud the click was last time to second guessing myself. Maybe cause I've been sick for 4 days and just worn out. Anyway, has new spark plugs in it, tried to find the fuel filter but wasn't sure what I was looking at or for so will go research that. In the meantime, got some seafoam and will run it through tomorrow (2 capfuls is right?) and go from there.

sorry for the hijack bro eddie

Wildfire
'06 VTX 1300C Ride bells by pngpearson & dgraves49

'03 Shadow Spirit VT750DCB - now my daughter's ride
'01 Shadow VLX Deluxe - gone but not forgotten. Ride bell by hypostang
Check out Canyon's book thread and meet up for your turn with it
sopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

No problem sopo. Not really a highjack anyway.
I believe I have solved my tank issues. Disconnected the line from the canister and blew air into it with the gas cap open. No results. So I pulled the seats, removed the tank bolts, lifted the tank and blew air into it again. That worked. Gently set the tank back in place, pulling the vent line down as it went, seated the bolts and blew air again. The line remained unobstructed, so I reconnected the line to the canister, replaced the seats and started putting the tank bra back on. It started raining at that point so I stopped. I'll finish lacing the straps up after I eat and the rains subsides.

Ride Bell by El Dog Star
Engine Guard
Passenger Backrest
Utopia Driver Backrest
Fuel Tank Punch Mod
Throttle Lock

Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion
VFW
Bro Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

sopo, balderdash about this confidence thing!!!! I looked at your profile...web design scare's the crap outta me! If ya got an Owner's Manual or do a search on this board you'll find a few "pictures/downloads of service manuals" for yourself. Look at the pictures...compare to bike....shake your head...look at picture and viola.....duh...there it is!!!!

Now, what's this thing about turtles??? Are YOU a turtle???

Bullzeyet

Bro Eddie: ya done good!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I just like turtles. My hubby got me a sulcata tortoise hatchling when we first got together. She had such a personality.

I get my strength back up, I'll let you know how it goes.

Wildfire
'06 VTX 1300C Ride bells by pngpearson & dgraves49

'03 Shadow Spirit VT750DCB - now my daughter's ride
'01 Shadow VLX Deluxe - gone but not forgotten. Ride bell by hypostang
Check out Canyon's book thread and meet up for your turn with it
sopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtrax View Post
I know this might be frowned upon but is there a way to eliminate the canister under the radiator and all the extra stuff associated with it? I have this same issue intermittently and it makes me think my evap system isn't working properly.
Maxtrax why don't you share with us how to do this just in case it's ever needed.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

sopo, yep, get better...not good to work on bikes while sick. Was working on one of mine this morning......now I need more parts...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Turtles Rule!!!!

Bullzeyet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement