Honda Shadow Forums banner

New tires for Phantom

13K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  Mark-B 
#1 ·
OK you phantom owners it's time for new tires, what are your suggestions?
Front/rear what size did you use? Brand?

The stock dunlops are done with only 8k miles on them....I live in Florida so most of my riding is straight roads.

#2 ·
The Dunlops are pretty much throw-aways. General consensus is Metzler, Pirrelli and Avon Venoms are top brands. I have Bridgestones on my bike from P.O. and they're OK - when it's time to replace I will be using something else.

#6 ·
I can't put my finger on it, but they just don't feel "good" while riding. They were replaced shortly before I bought the bike (last year, about this time) so I'm not planning on replacing them anytime soon, but I just don't like them. It's not like there is anything horribly wrong, just feels kinda odd at times, both front and rear.

#7 ·
I am aware of the search function.....I am not stupid. I want to know what the phantom owners have replaced their stock tires with, and if they went up a size. There seems to be very limited options for tires in the stock sizes.

I don't know what the road surfaces are like where you guys live, or how to be easy on tires....I don't do burnouts or lock the back wheel up while stopping. The roads here are pretty abrasive (you don't want to fall off at any speed), mostly asphalt for wet traction. I'll post some pictures if you want to see the rear wheel I have a little over 8k miles on them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
I am aware of the search function.....I am not stupid. I want to know what the phantom owners have replaced their stock tires with, and if they went up a size. There seems to be very limited options for tires in the stock sizes.

I don't know what the road surfaces are like where you guys live, or how to be easy on tires....I don't do burnouts or lock the back wheel up while stopping. The roads here are pretty abrasive (you don't want to fall off at any speed), mostly asphalt for wet traction. I'll post some pictures if you want to see the rear wheel I have a little over 8k miles on them.

Switched to Michelin Commander II's and went to a 170 on the rear. LOVE them.

I got 6500 mile on my rear Dunlop and 9500 on the front.

#13 ·
I just looked it up real quick...The Commander II's suggest 42 psi front and rear. So I'm sure mine are between 40 and 42 (probably should check them one of these days).

#16 ·
Strangely, I have been corrected, by myself. I email Michelin and they said they recommend running the air pressure suggested by the motorcycle manufacturer, not by their tire. They said their pressure listed is the maximum for the tire. So, that said, I'm moving mine back to OEM recommendations.

#17 ·
The company or the tire place? I am pretty sure since you switched tires and sizes you don't go by the bikes recommeded PSI. Those values are for the cheapo tires they install. I only ask because with other tires the psi is totally different than stock.

Dingo.

2010 Honda Shadow
Phantom Custom

This one sent from my 'droid device.

#22 ·
Can anyone give me the front and rear tire sizes for our bikes? I am planning on ordering some new tires for my Phantom but I'm across the country at the moment (in WA for work, bike is in RI) and cant read them off the tires myself. I dont exactly trust most websites parts matching databases (I've known them to be wrong several times in the past), especially since it'll be past the return dates when I get back home to actually install them.

#26 ·
I just had the commander 2 tires installed and the front tire is out of round, causing a hop in the front end that is really noticeable at 40 mph. I took it back to the dealership that installed the tire and they agreed. So I have them ordering a new front, but with thanksgiving coming up it will be early Dec. before I get the replacement. The biggest problem that I have is that they test drove the bike and thought this was normal. They gave me some line of BS about this was common on the "lighter" bikes. I immediately called them on it and said it's either out of balance of out of round.

I cannot believe they don't spin balance motorcycle tires. If they did it would have shown as out of round on the spin balance test.

#27 ·
I wonder if that's what's up with my front wheel on my bike. It hops noticeably while in a curve more so than riding straight (although its getting worse in the straightaways lately). Its been like that since I bought the bike about 5k ago. I never really considered it could be out of round. I'm still running the crappy stock Dunlops with close to 9k on them, but looks like I'll be getting Metzelers for the spring.

#29 ·
I also used the search function and found nothing that answered my questions so, I started this thread.

My new front tire was out of round from the moment It was installled. The mechanic said the vibration was "normal" for lighter bikes like my phantom when running the commander 2's I called BS and had them recheck the front. When hand spinning the tire you can see there is a high spot.

#34 ·
I would like to know this as well for my 06. The only tire I have found online that matches the factory is the Bridgestone that's on it now. The rear is a Metzler 880.

#31 ·
Ok so I got the new front tire last Friday, it also has the out of round problem. The dealership keeps insisting that my bike is "too light" for this particular tire, personally I think that is horse *****. So thinking maybe the wheel is the culprit I had another bike shop check for a rim that isn't round...it's not the wheel. I guess I just have crappy luck with the front tire.

I am going to put a Meltzer on the front and see what happens.

#42 ·
Ok so I got the new front tire last Friday, it also has the out of round problem. The dealership keeps insisting that my bike is "too light" for this particular tire, personally I think that is horse *****. So thinking maybe the wheel is the culprit I had another bike shop check for a rim that isn't round...it's not the wheel. I guess I just have crappy luck with the front tire.

I am going to put a Meltzer on the front and see what happens.

That is a bunch of crap. I have Commander II's on my Phantom with no issues. I love the tires.

#35 ·
I ended up ordering
Pirelli MT66 Route Cruiser Front Tire - 110/90H-19 and
Pirelli MT66 Route Cruiser Rear Tire - 170/80H-15. Should have them on by the end of the week so I won't know how they feel till then. Anything's better than my almost bald rear and cracking front.

#41 ·
Wobble don't sound right (or safe).

I'd take it back to the installer and have them look at it. You might have a defective tire, or it could be as simple as they didn't properly set the bead or balance it correctly?

If they didn't tighten the axle to specs... what else did they not do right?? This is the number one reason I mount my own... if it ain't right, I know who to blame :D

#43 ·
So here we are again with the commander 2 front tire, Different shop same problem 2 tires that Hop noticeably at 30 to 40 mph it beats me to death. both are out of round or there is something else wrong in the front end. The shop is looking into it. I hope they have better luck diagnosing it this time round. I will get it back sometime after thanksgiving :) 20k miles and third set of tires. So 4 for 4 with either bad tires or a suspension/ bearing problem.

The back tire has been replaced, due to running over a piece of wire that went through the tread and side wall, but I can say it wasn't even half worn. The me880 was a good tire just wore out too fast.

#45 ·
Yes, they are putting the right sized tube in the tires.

I got the bike back on Friday afternoon. The problem with the second tire was an out of round rim (supposedly) I don't know how a rim could go out of round when it didn't hop or show out of round before the tire was changed.

Anyway it is back to normal and I am very happy with it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.