83 750 Charging System - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 83 750 Charging System

OK quick background is my battery was not charging and after a little troubleshooting, I found that the Stator was shorted to ground. So I replaced the Stator coil, my battery was also fried so I upgraded to a lithuim battery.

Started the bike and upon first check it was reading 14.4V at idle. I thought that was pretty good for still using the stock R/R.

Took it for a 30 min ride yesterday and when I got home pulled my DVM out to check it againg before shutting if off. It was now reading 15.3VDC at idle. Interestingly, I found the voltage increases with load. So with no lights on the voltage went down to 15.0V and goes up when the headlight it on. It does not change with RPM increase.

My first suspicion would be the R/R but I never have heard of one doing this before. Any thoughts?
83 Black Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: SW Georgia. Between Americus & Buena Vista - Ellaville and Plains

Useful Links
Stickie in technical
Charging system;
http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf
"Captain D" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
bd*

Garage

cant help you with that problem but your in the right place & welcome aboard.

2001 Shadow Spirit 750..... Pic taken with my iphone 5s.

bd* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Your gonna want to test the RR. Find out what the amp draws are supposed to be at 1000rpms to 5000rpms and compare it. Get yourself a manual or down load one from here, i believe..lol

this will help too. its universal.
balloonot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

OK I think I know what the problem is now. That guide was very helpful thank you Captain.

Feedback (black wire) to the R/R is 1.2V lower than the output of the R/R. So somewhere along the line I have a bad connection. But that line goes through the ignition switch and the fuse block so I have a lot of tracing to do. This might just be a real pain in the ass. I might have to run a jumper wire temporarily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charging System.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	55977  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

15.3 is to much. I don't think a lithium battery can take that many volts, at no time should the charging system output be above 15.0v or it can damage the battery.

ROD
Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

I suggest replacing your stock voltage regulator with a Mosfet regulator (Yamaha and others use them) which will upgrade your electrical system and be a lot better in the long run. I'm still running my stock stator too.
I replaced mine with a used on off of a Yamaha R1 and never looked back. I have 14.3 at idle and 14.7 with riding all my accessories turn on. I have heated grips, AM/FM auto radio, and driving lights and have no problems with keeping the battery fully charged while riding. I have an LED volt meter mounted on my dash to keep track of my battery and it never goes down to less than 13.5 volts now. The Mosfet regulator is the cat meow!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Location: SW Georgia. Between Americus & Buena Vista - Ellaville and Plains

IF & When I gotta replace my regulator/rectifier it will be with the MOSFET unit...
Through the electrosport diagnosis I found my R/R to be the problem and replaced it with a stock item...
This was before I knew of these MOSFET units...
However, the replacement has been OK with my demands of the charging system...
( no extras )

Good Luck on this repair, 83...
"Captain D" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am aware of the MOSFET regulator upgrade and plan to do it when I have the cash.

But I did manage to fix the problem. I really didnt feel like tracing the wire and go through all the hassle, so I just installed a relay. Basically I used the feedback line to activate a 12V automotive relay that sends battery voltage back into the regulator. I now have 14.4V at the battery from idle all the way up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.