Honda Shadow Forums banner

Weird cruising speed problem. Stumped!!

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Tony Adams 
#1 ·
**Bike sat outside through the elements in NJ for 2 years before i got it from the previous owner. It had this problem before and after all the things i did.**

2001 honda shadow sabre vt1100c2, hole saw mod (my doing), dynojet jet kit (my doing), replaced previous owners K&N with OEM air filter (ran too lean for me after messing with the air/fuel screw). Ran plenty of Seafoam, Berrymans, and Gumout through many tanks of gas. Emptied fuel bowls, made sure all hoses and clamps were tight. Exhaust tight. The bike's power is ridiculous, pulls on my buddies 1400 suzzy intruder. My bike will accelerate (even the tiniest bit) completely fine, full throttle completely fine, and at highway speeds 80 and above (i know thats fast for some, but you know NJ drivers) its fine. Now, in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th (anything under 75-80 mph) at STEADY cruise throttle (no acceleration, no deceleration) it sounds as if only on cylinder is firing? it goes from a nice deep tone rumble, to a weak little putter. but the second i whack the throttle it picks right up again. I changed the fuel filter, nothing. I ordered a new fuel pump today. Does ANYONE, have ANY idea what it could possible be. The bike idles and runs perfectly, EXCEPT when I'm trying to just stand at a steady throttle cruise (under 75-80, anything over is fine). Ive been racking my brain over this and just cannot figure out what else it could possibly be. Any and every input is MUCH appreciated

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
**Bike sat outside through the elements in NJ for 2 years before i got it from the previous owner. It had this problem before and after all the things i did.**

2001 honda shadow sabre vt1100c2, hole saw mod (my doing), dynojet jet kit (my doing), replaced previous owners K&N with OEM air filter (ran too lean for me after messing with the air/fuel screw). Ran plenty of Seafoam, Berrymans, and Gumout through many tanks of gas. Emptied fuel bowls, made sure all hoses and clamps were tight. Exhaust tight. The bike's power is ridiculous, pulls on my buddies 1400 suzzy intruder. My bike will accelerate (even the tiniest bit) completely fine, full throttle completely fine, and at highway speeds 80 and above (i know thats fast for some, but you know NJ drivers) its fine. Now, in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th (anything under 75-80 mph) at STEADY cruise throttle (no acceleration, no deceleration) it sounds as if only on cylinder is firing? it goes from a nice deep tone rumble, to a weak little putter. but the second i whack the throttle it picks right up again. I changed the fuel filter, nothing. I ordered a new fuel pump today. Does ANYONE, have ANY idea what it could possible be. The bike idles and runs perfectly, EXCEPT when I'm trying to just stand at a steady throttle cruise (under 75-80, anything over is fine). Ive been racking my brain over this and just cannot figure out what else it could possibly be. Any and every input is MUCH appreciated
Yes. You need a bluetooth stereo because your bike is running fine.

If sound is primary concern, you could cruise towing a parachute so more throttle is needed...just a thought. :mrgreen:

#5 ·
My 1100 ACE is pretty much the same way. under throttle it is the loudest thing on the road, at a steady pace of 50-60 mph, cruising speed it sounds like it just sputters along nice and quiet like. Twist the throttle and the beast awakens. Been that way for since I got it, and I have put 20,000 miles on it, without a breakdown. I think your bike is fine.

#7 ·
No, there is NOTHING wrong, you just cant hear the one cylinder, thats all. I have the same 'issue' on mine since the pipes are stacked, i cant hear both unless there is something for the top and bottom pipes to bounce off of at the same time.

#8 ·
I'm not a moron. Obviously sound will be different at cruising and acceleration. It has a slight very slight loss of power and sometimes pops (not deceleration pops, cause I'm not decelerating). It's definitely not normal. No I didn't sync the carbs. I'll have to pick up the tool and sync them, I've looked into that. Now you guys have me second guessing if it's normal or not but everyone I've had ride and take a look at it says it's definitely not normal. It's very annoying to cruise steady to I'm at the point of speeding up, slowing down, speeding up, slowing down. Appreciate all the input (even the slight bashes, all in good fun)

#15 ·
Relax. Sometimes FurBall comes off as insulting. I don't think he means it, he just doesn't know better. I can't help with the operatingroblem, but I'm very interested in what you find. If it was a car engine I'd suggest a vacuum leak, but I don't know that much about your bike.
Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

#10 ·
I would sync the carbs, do a compression check and check your spark plugs. My carbs were out of sync and I had one cylinder that was running lean... left the spark plugs almost white while the the ones in the other cylinder were chocolaty brown. I have this tool for the carbs and it works just fine:

#11 ·
Laptop diagnostics serves many of us well from our "tech gurus", Read your plugs, is my suggestion...

Folks what got the same bike are your guide...

Listen to them, check out their suggestions and you MAY JUST fall onto the cure...

Lets RIDE (WAO)

#12 ·
Carb sync is not the problem. Once you are at cruising speed, the carb sync doesn't effect anything. You're jetting could be off some or you could have a slight air leak or exhaust leak. What do the sparkplugs look like? Fuel pump probably isn't the problem either.

#13 ·
I appreciate all the input. Didnt take any as hostile haha. Ill do all of the above suggested. I'll sync the carbs, and run the bike at its "problematic" throttle position and then hit the kill switch and check the plugs. Its been doing this before and after the jet kit. It only happens really at like 1/4 throttle in 3rd and up, or if i wind the gear all the way out before a shift and leave it.

#14 · (Edited)
My bike will accelerate (even the tiniest bit) completely fine, full throttle completely fine, and at highway speeds 80 and above (i know thats fast for some, but you know NJ drivers) its fine. Now, in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th (anything under 75-80 mph) at STEADY cruise throttle (no acceleration, no deceleration) it sounds as if only on cylinder is firing? it goes from a nice deep tone rumble, to a weak little putter. but the second i whack the throttle it picks right up again.
Considering the description of "the problem", there have been 3 people here in a row that said this is pretty normal for this bike. Nothing said here about the bike not holding a steady speed, or cutting out, just "sounds like it's firing on one" while holding speed.

Yes, compared to acceleration, that is pretty much normal, the bike is just barely awake and maintaining speed, and it will sound weak and almost fighting to "stay awake" because it is. Very little fuel is being given under that situation, and that is why you get around 50MPG in these bikes.

Wouldn't hurt to sync the carbs, and yes always read the plugs. I assumed they were normal since everything was gone through twice, and I still don't think that is, or there even is, a problem.

Take away that "issue" and his bike runs great with plenty of power so to me that is just getting used to a new bike.

What kind of gas mileage do you get on longer "cruising" type trips?

#16 ·
Im getting about 200 miles to the tank. I ride every weekend about 200 miles. I completelllly forgot to add this into my description..........I ran my own little test before and after rejet, hole saw mod, and K&N air filter replacement and this cured the problem 100% both before and after the mods.

I took a piece of fish tank filter cloth, breathable but still a little air restricting, and wrapped it around the air filter "cover boot" and slit X's in the cloth to allow air flow into the filter intake. This would let me stay at any throttle position, without any sputter or loss of power to one cylinder or the sound of losing one cylinder. Only thing, obviously, because it wasnt getting its right amount of air flow, i lost top end power in ever gear. Would bounce rev-limiter in gears no where near redline. Not as powerful. Top speed was about 90. Horrible gas mileage. So clearly it has something to do with it being lean or one cylinder running lean. Both screws are out 3.5 turns. Barely if any popping on deceleration with and without the restriction on the air filter..... let me know what you guys think

#18 ·
Sounds kind of like what i did with my airbox when i jetted, i 'tuned' it to match the jets instead of jetting to match the air box. Got way better power and way better mpg vs stock. Thats with a 38T sprocket and a 300 lb guy. I suggest tuning the airbox rather than wrapping the filter.

By tuning... i mean cutting a hole thats too large. Youll know its too large if at around 45 mph in 2nd you feel like you hit the rev limiter (thats you running out of fuel) then, making (throw away) restrictor plates in 1mm increasing sizes till you hit that wall again, then go back and make a perm plate and enjoy.

#17 ·
Great power, good mileage, good mild and hard acceleration, no decel pops, just sounds a bit sick while holding speed.

Diagnosis confirmed. Need bluetooth stereo for noise distraction. :mrgreen: :cool:

I think you need to ride a similar bike, or take a Honda mechanic to lunch and explain what you've done and "the problem", and pick his brain.

Time to enjoy now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.