Honda Shadow Forums banner

Oil Leak

7K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  NEW2CRUISE85 
#1 ·
I have oil leaking from what appears to be the gasket behind what is pictured below. Any where i can look to find manual on what gasket is called and where i can find replacement

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tried the tech sticky, Manuals for your download?

Yup I`d say that is the oil pump gasket on XXXX -yy model Bike, IF I were to guess...

#4 · (Edited)
it will be the clutch push rod seal, search and you will find multiple results

I will flick something up later if you dont find something

(found some posts I did so flicked them up to save you looking)

#5 · (Edited)
OK a couple oflinks

Page 4 shows my leak from there, got bad quick and oil all over my rear wheel!

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53...e-1993-vt-shadow-1100-work-done-so-far-4.html

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/93...te-question-about-94-vt1100c.html#post3942530

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/417081-clutch-slave-push-rod-seal.html

as the seals get old they get hard and leak, you might need to change the push rod end for end if its worn where the seal sits :)

Note the clutch master also has a seal to keep the push rod central, that can be replaced as well, the clutch slave has a grove to let the oil out when the seal starts to leak.

#14 ·
#19 ·
Its been a long while since I did mine, from memory the starter had to come out to clear the starter gears to refit them?? Might have been when I replaced the starter I am thinking of?

There is a steel plate with a rubber grommet for the cover mount ... the bolt that holds that on also goes through to hold the side cover so don't leave that on....

Check the wear on the push rod, Might be worth changing it end for end if there s a worn groove at all

#20 · (Edited)
Jumping on this late. Sorry!

You don't have to remove the starter to do this fix.

Step 1 - drain oil.
Step 2 - remove side cover
Step 3 - Remove starter gear cover (bolts are different lengths, note where they go!)
Step 4 - remove clutch slave cylinder (don't compress it or anything, just hang it up out of the way)
Step 5 - Remove shift peg
Step 6 - remove LHS crankcase cover(bolts are different lengths, note where they go!)
Step 7 - replace seals.
... then reverse the process and put it all back together.

I would have recommended you buy the oil seal, a new shift peg oil seal, and then a new LHS crankcase gasket and a new starter gear cover gasket. Makes putting it all back together very easy. When installing the LHS crankcase cover again, put some electrical tape around the shift peg so you don't gouge your seal (hopefully new, since it's just as old as the one that just failed).

Here's the parts:

Part 23 here: Honda Motorcycle Parts 1994 VT1100C A CRANKCASE Diagram

Parts 13 and 5 here: Honda Motorcycle Parts 1994 VT1100C A LEFT CRANKCASE COVER Diagram

Part 2 here: Honda Motorcycle Parts 1994 VT1100C A WATER PUMP Diagram

New Rotella 15-40 oil and filter(why not do an oil change since you drained the oil already)

Good luck! It's not too bad a job.

#21 ·
Now just copy and paste that somewhere to re-post each time this leak pops up in a thread :D

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.