Honda Shadow Forums banner

Buzzzzz from front brake?

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  sta18ff 
#1 ·
2002 VT600CD VLX here...
Had front pads changed recently. After the repair when I apply the brake I hear a very audible buzzing sound.. No vibration in the lever or the handlebars... Bike doesn't shudder or go up and down.. Just this LOUD buzzing sound?? Stops when I let off the lever.. If i'm not moving it doesn't do it.. When i start to roll and apply the brake it doesn't do it.. Only when i'm going over 5mph does it make this insanely loud BuZZZZZZZ.??? Before the pads were replaced it was completely silent when applying the brakes... It's almost like those buzzers kids used to wear when they would shake hands to pull a practical joke..
Could it be the holes or slots in the rotor as the pad makes contact? I was going to attempt going at the rotor and pad with different pieces of sandpaper? Any insight to this issue? :nerd:

#5 · (Edited)
It is most likely from switching from the stock "organic" pads to aftermarket "sintered" or "semi-metallic" pads. When I replaced my stock pads with sintered I got the same noise (almost sounds like noise from crackling power lines). After those pads failed (the pad popped off the backing while riding) I replaced them with Honda pads and noise was gone.

#6 · (Edited)
I tried EBC front brakes and found they buzzed. Eventually we isolated that they have a different groove set than the "stock" pads. Found it did not go away at least no quickly so I put on stock Honda pads and immediately fixed. There are some threads on this if you search: "buzzing front brake noise" under my name.

G.

#15 ·
Or any sintered or semi-metallic. The sintered ones i used were not EBC, but caused the same problem. Stick to organic pads.
Wrong. If you want to stop faster organic is not the way. The only reason you hear it is because you arent in a car. Besides, if you hear the noise you know your brakes are working. I have the same noise and it doesnt bother me, but then i only hear it when coasting cause my pipes are too loud.

Did any of you guys chamfer the leading edges of the pads? When I install new front pads, I usually put about an 1/8" chamfer on them and haven't had any problems.
Sounds like a plan, if you obsess about things like this :)

#21 ·
Furball, I never said organic would stop better, did I? I just said they do not create the noise that the sintered pads do. Also I never had a problem stopping with organics to begin with, just decided to try the sintered as they seemed like a good deal (til one pad separated from backing). I'm well aware that they stop better, just as I am aware that they create more heat in doing so, potentially accelerating wear on the rotor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.