Honda Shadow Forums banner

Shaft Drive Leak

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  swifty2014 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Shadow Aero 750 with 1500 miles on it. I have a slow leak at the bottom inside bolt of the 4 bolts that attaches the shaft drive to the "pumpkin". Any thoughts? Major or minor problem? Thanks.

#2 ·
Not being familiar enough with the 4 bolt shaft drives, it sounds like the bolt could be loose or if there is a gasket it needs replacing. Ill guess for now that you tried tightening the bolt before you posted and say that its a gasket situation.

#3 ·
Re torque the nuts to 47 ft/lbs. If the leak persists, you've probably got a bad seal. Have you checked the oil level/condition in the final drive? If you don't know the service history on the bike, I'd drain and replace it. (80w hypoid gear lube)

#4 ·
I have an '83 750 with 3 bolts that hold it on and have had it off a couple of times. It has no gasket on that seam and I don't see one on the 4 bolt parts for sale on ebay. But there is a seal on the diff. and a seal at the upper end from the output angle drive on the trans. If you can pull back the rubber boot at the upper end and peek in there, you may see if it is dry or not from that seal.
Also you can get some of the oil that is leaking and smell it to see if it smells like diff gear oil . It has a distinctive smell. At least you will know where it is coming from.

#6 ·
Does Moly grease smell and feel anything like Hypoid gear oil if it should get hot and liquify? Just cant figure out why my leak is mostly on the side where the axle meets the swingarm(R side). Some leak at bottom inside bolt where shaft meets pumpkin. Looking at some videos on youtube it looks like some people Moly the heck out of the gears/joints and just wondering? Everything torqued to spec.

#8 ·
Moly grease is a shiny black color, smells like grease, but is hard to get the black off your hand.
Gear oil is clearer and smells bad. I always joked that they must add horse s**t to it to thicken it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.