Honda Shadow Forums banner

Any Difference Between VT400/VT750 Gearboxes?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  EnEs63 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a 2003'ish VT400C Ace.

The gearbox is a bit noisy, (kind of whining in 1st, 3rd and 5th. 1st is by way the worse...), so I'm guessing it could be the 1st, 3rd & 5th cogs?

When moving and the clutch is disengaged the noise largely disappears so I think that eliminates the connecting drive from crank to primary shaft... right?

I have seen complete transmission assemblies on eBay from the States but they are all from VT750's as I don't think you got the VT400 out there?

Now I understand these two bikes are pretty similar, except for the piston/cylinder specs but do any of you know whether VT750 made-up gear shafts would fit my VT400?
If so, it seems like quite a handy way to get a gearbox overhaul done for not too much money!

Thanks & Regards

EnEs63

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi jpr 1968,

Yes, changed the oil the same day I got it! 10w-30 - Honda's own oil...

It helped make the engine itself a little quieter. What came out was a bit thin and too dark for my liking. Not black but quite dark brown and starting to smell sweet...

This gear noise is pronounced... definitely some wear on the cogs/sprockets?
Maybe some noise from the clutch area too?

I have order a mechanics stethascope and when that arrives I will try and pin point eh source more accurately.

#4 ·
Your best bet is to replace all of the gears with something that is meant for your make/model. Not saying 750 parts won't work, but it would suck to spend money on a bunch of stuff that won't fit in your bike. Definitely check your clutch too. If it's not working properly, this transmission problem could be a secondary problem caused by a slipping/ broken clutch.

#5 ·
Hi Liz1400,

Yea, your probably right...
The problem is - finding parts listed as VT400 parts is like trying to find rocking horse sh!t...!

I might just take a look at the clutch area. I have noticed a change in noises from when the clutch is pulled for starting the engine to when it is engaged...
I have ordered one of those mechanics stethascopes to try and source the noises more acurately...

Thanks anyway...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.