Honda Shadow Forums banner

Needing some love !!!

859 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  hakunamatata777 
#1 ·
i have been rebuilding a 87vt1100 for my first bike got her running and all when i got the bike it was laid over and sat for a few years and when it was laid over the shift rod splines were ate up !! the bike runs but i cant get the bike into gear it is like it is stuck in N i know i have to replace the shift rod because the spline are ate up but anyother ideas on what i can do to get her in gear keep in mind the bike has SAT FOR 2 YEARS before i got her!!
thanks a ton i am really ready to get this bike going kinda a life long dream of mine !

#2 ·
If you have the engine off, will it rock into gear?
Then you may be able to select different gears and work with it a bit.
If the shift rod will not move at all you probably will have to take off both side covers to determine the damage or binding.

#4 ·
I know the end of the rod is gone so maybe you can't put the lever back on. Since the rod is junk anyway why not put some vise-grips on it tight, and see if you can get any movement into gears.

#8 ·
Yep!! I got to weld that shift arm on but I went through all the gears by grabbing it with a vice grip and boom actually put it in first started her up and FINaLY rode her first time I ever been on a bike scared the ...... Out of me but man it was the greatest thing ever only got to go a block and only
In first (shift arm still needs to be attached ) but man btw here is a pic of the bike I know u been helping me a lot and I never got a pic up she ain't a model but she is mine ha

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.