Honda Shadow Forums banner

oil leak

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  swifty2014 
#1 ·
1987 VT1100c
Just done rebuilding and reassembled

Started her up and looked around and saw this oil leak. I remember seing this hole when I was buttoning it up, thought i odd but knew nothing had been removed form there so assumed (yes, I know the phrase) that all was well becuase it was part of the design.

So now I'd like somebody to put a mirror and take a look at the location on their 87-96 vt1100c and see what things look like for me please.

Just one bolt of disassemble required to remove the slave clutch cover. Maybe it had a little rubber piece in there and I never noticed? I wil provide more pics if needed to make sense of the location.

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have the same engine but I believe it is a weep hole from the area of the clutch push rod seal. I have seen photos of the side cover off and the chamber where all the switches are screwed in and the clutch push rod seal is above them.

#4 ·
If I am correct that hole would allow the oil leak from the clutch push rod seal to run out when it starts to leak. Maybe ride it a bit to see if it seals on the rod. (I am sure you put a new seal in when the engine was apart). Or it could be a weep hole from the switch area. I quessed that was it by the looks of the hole with a piece of blue gasket going across it from the left side case seam. If somebody else has the same engine and prior experience you could get a confirmation.

#5 ·
So made sure of oil level and took it out for a ride today.

Came back and no leaking. So...

Initially I didn't mention this as I didn't see a connection, there still may not be but here we go. I originally had two leaks, this one and one due to the upper bolt that holds the chain tension bracket on the rear cylinder not being tight. I simply did not want to tighten until final head torquing and forgot on the rear.

So maybe the stopping of that leak stopped weeping? Don't know, but I have no leaks now (of course that means it doesn't look quite as much like a dyna as it did)!

#6 ·
The push rod seal is a common leak, when the seal gets a bit of age on it

Keep an eye out for oil down there as if that seal leak it can get bad fast and you will end up with oil on the rear wheel as I found out. The grove in the master is to let the oil out. If it does go its not to hard to fix, the seal is cheap

Honda Motorcycle Parts 1987 VT1100C A CRANKCASE Diagram

part 23

91204-MG8-003 OIL SEAL (8X25X7) $2.86

the gear change seal might be worth doing too while its off (part 13)

Honda Motorcycle Parts 1987 VT1100C A LEFT CRANKCASE COVER Diagram

But the loose bold may have been all it was but if it came from that groove it probably was that seal so no other source should get there, the seal may have settled but keep an eye on it :)

#9 ·
The push rod seal is a common leak, when the seal gets a bit of age on it

Keep an eye out for oil down there as if that seal leak it can get bad fast and you will end up with oil on the rear wheel as I found out. The grove in the master is to let the oil out. If it does go its not to hard to fix, the seal is cheap

Honda Motorcycle Parts 1987 VT1100C A CRANKCASE Diagram

part 23

91204-MG8-003 OIL SEAL (8X25X7) $2.86

the gear change seal might be worth doing too while its off (part 13)

Honda Motorcycle Parts 1987 VT1100C A LEFT CRANKCASE COVER Diagram

But the loose bold may have been all it was but if it came from that groove it probably was that seal so no other source should get there, the seal may have settled but keep an eye on it :)

Did not do push rod . Definitely did the shift lever seal. I'll keep an eye out thanks.

#8 ·
It sure looks like the factory put a notch in that left case for some reason. Maybe a weep hole for the slave cylinder so it would alert the rider he is leaking fluid from the slave. Just a guess but why do they put that notch there?
Why does a water pump have a weep hole???
Actually who cares, the leak stopped. !!!
Let's ride.

#10 ·
It sure looks like the factory put a notch in that left case for some reason. Maybe a weep hole for the slave cylinder so it would alert the rider he is leaking fluid from the slave. Just a guess but why do they put that notch there?

Yup the master definitely has a factory notch to let fluids out.... Well every one I have seen has it :)

#11 ·
I worked on a lot of cars and all the ones with manual transmissions have a "weep", or drain hole, at the bottom of the bell housing to drain any fluid out. Probably started when the old rear main seal would leak and fill up the bell housing and then the clutch would slip. Or the front trans seal could leak in there also. So on these bikes maybe the factory is trying to keep any oil or brake fluid leak from contaminating the other seals. Engine oil would start to soften the clutch slave seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.