Honda Shadow Forums banner

Let the headaches and learning commence!

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  ThirdEyePharoah 
#1 ·
My first babe, shes not pretty but I know in time she will be something magnificent, now the first set of orders.. Figure out whats what, and get a new front brake, un rust everything, and powder coat the frame, then un rust and re seal the tank, hoping to make a bobber out of this thing within a year.. Hopefully. Using this thread as a build journal of sorts. Feel free to chime in, for I am a newbie to the DeathMachine world.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet man is that an 83? I'm doing the same thing you are dude, trying to bob an early model shadow. I have a new rear fender, tail light and exhaust wrap in the mail now and should be here by Tuesday. The engine is sitting on the work bench in my garage tho cuz we blew a head gasket and ran into a few other problems. Just a word to the wise engine parts for a 83 75 are hell to find. Honda doesn't make new valves or piston rings, your pretty much looking at eBay and new-old stock for anything that might need replaced.
Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for ya

#6 ·
I remember you were saying a few days ago that the bike was going to be delivered. Before you tear it all apart and spend a bunch of money does it run???
It would be a major disappointment if after a lot of work, the engine is no good. I sure would try to see how well it will run first, unless you are totally restoring everything.

#9 ·
It would be a good idea to run it and maybe if the carbs need work, you can schedule that while it is apart. If that reservoir tank is not too badly rusted you can put in a 1/2 gal. of gas and set it back in place to test. The lower part of that tank has the fuel line that goes down to the petcock, filter and pump. If you cant use that tank find a safe container to hook that fuel hose to the petcock.

#11 ·
Yes that is the feed line for the petcock then it goes to the filter, and then the pump, and then the carbs.

#12 ·
Thank you, I need to get a battery first since she is a push start, but I got a little siphon pump to get a little gas in there to turn her on.
Also, anyone got any decent links on how to unwire my eletrical system? More specifically the stuff on the back fender underneath the passenger seat so I can remove the license plate,etc. I did ok getting the right brake lever off of the handlebars but realized im gonna probably put new LED lights as well as new fender in due time, so Im gonna need to learn that stuff anyways, bt the manual description is a bit difficult to read and understand, any videos etc? Im youtubing as we speak.

#13 · (Edited)
Stripping her down slowly but surely. DeRusting the reserve tank to be able to put somethin in her and start her up. Im a bit stumped on WHERE the fuel actually will be siphoned into though. AKA location of petcock I believe? From Swifty's above post that where it seems both the fuel tank and reserve tank lines will be headed?

Attachments

#14 ·
So you were saying that you're gonna need a new fender for the back? Well I just bought one off eBay for $13. Just stamped thick gauge steel, I'm gonna cut it up and use it for a stubby fender. You should look into that. As for the wiring under the seat, I'm not sure yet. I'm in the same boat, not sure what I want to do with it yet. I don't really know where to hide those 2 plastic box things yet.

#15 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.