Honda Shadow Forums banner

shadow turn signal to brake

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
Was wondering,i want to turn my signal lights to brake n run lights.i see all these expensive conversion kits and talk about converters,i know some electronics and can solder and use my meter,if i get double filaments sockets and replace the single filament,cant i just solder them together? i know when i brake the signal light (smaller filament )will be weaker,but will it be visible when it blinks,i will change to red lenses.appreciate any ideas .thnx

#3 ·
I did something similar, but instead of hooking that 3rd wire to the brake, I hooked it to the running circuit. Gave me more light on the back all the time, and didn't interfere with my turn signals, but I did have to paint the lenses red. I just got the sockets from a local auto parts store, and they mounted in the stock signals just fine. Changed bulbs from 1156 to 1157, and no issues. I decided later to get some different 'style' signals, and sold my old converted stockers. Been thinking about doing the same in these, though, as they only came with 1156 sockets/bulbs. I just have to make sure the socket will fit and stay in place inside these new small bullet signals.

#4 ·
I had to replace the surface-mount rear turn signals when I added a back rest,.
I bought red dual filament lights and 2 relays.

I connected the turn wire to the low filament of the bulb and to the coil of the relay (other side of the coil goes to Ground).
I connected the brake wire to the NC of the relay.
I connected the Common of the relay to the high filament of the bulb.

Repeat for other side.

When brakes are applied, both rear turn signals glow brightly.
When brakes are applied and turn signal is activated, the one will alternate between bright and dim, the other will constantly glow brightly.
If no brakes are applied and turn signal is activated, it will flash dimly.

I am not concerned when the rear turn signal only flashes dimly before I apply brakes.
I think it is more important to have extra brake lights glowing bright.

#5 · (Edited)
It reads like you got a plan which may/may not work well...
I wired mine Running/Turn and have them working...
I also added extra Brake lights too...
I don`t see all three functions working without diodes and/or more electronics added...

Until now, I hadn`t thought of turning off the running lights for turn operation?
Wonder how one could do that???

I don`t have any issues though, the way it`s wired now...

Pics! We LOVE Pics...

#15 · (Edited)
I got my red lens from Clear alternatives and my front turnsignals from a member here the memory ain`t coming in on cost???

But I don`t see all three functions outta this without some kinda switching device, be it a transistor, IC or other circuitry...
That confounded turn indicator in the "dash" is much troublesome wiring/circuit involved...

BUT I`m sure it CAN be done, IF you Want it bad enough ($$$)

Good Luck...

I get the John Hopkins Book Sunday,
Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.