Honda Shadow Forums banner

Three wire fix

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  blue flames 
#1 ·
I've noticed here some folks talk about a three wire fix below the seat that should be done on our Shadows. I've tried searching for more info. here without success. Can someone please help me or direct me to get info? What symptoms indicate this should be done? Thanks.

#2 ·
If you locate your rectifier/regulator unit you will see 3 yellow wires that have a plug-in connector in line with it. Many times those pins get loose or corroded and cause a resistance and burn the connector. It causes the charging system to be weak or fail. So connecting those 3 yellows is a good preventive maintenance. Cut the connector off and connect each yellow wire solidly and solder.

#3 · (Edited)
Industrial grade bare butt splices work really well also. Just be sure to put on the shrink wrap tubing before crimpimg. ;) The reason I went this route was the wire from the stator is steel and the harness is copper thus making soldering difficult.

#4 ·
Good Point!

Industrial grade bare butt splices work really well also. Just be sure to put on the shrink wrap tubing before crimpimg. ;) The reason I went this route was the wire from the stator is coated steel and the harness is copper thus making soldering difficult.

I agree!

Stainless wire is difficult to solder, it resists the solder moreso than copper...

My 98 ACE has not <yet> given sign of this "fix" being necessary...

Search "three yellow wires" in your next search attempt ;)

#5 ·
What are some of the symptoms of this wire fix being needed? My battery seems strong, but takes extra turning over to start intermittently, and when I pull in at night, as it's idling before shut-down, the headlight seems a bit fluttery...any of this seem familiar?

#6 ·
swifty answered this up a couple , didn`t he???

Check that connector for scorch, corrosion and connection...

Flucuating headlight brightness COULD be a sign there is problems...
Test the entire charging system and diagnose all connections...

John Hopkins memory Rides,
Dennis

#9 ·
I do believe folks who have "add ons" to their electrical system are more prone to problems, simply because > more current draw is present which equals more heat, demand and reason for maintenance...

Former TV technician by being raised in the business...
Gofer &Attic Rat!!;)

This type maintenance was at the beginning of ownership in 2007...

First off the switches were cleaned and lubricated, then connections checked, tightened and "elements proofed"...

Dirty connections & wire harnesses CAN be troublesome...

I`ve had to replace the Rectifier/regulator, so you can be assured this connection has had its dose of maintenance required protection...

John Hopkins memory Rides,
Dennis

#12 ·
Im currently waiting for new stator and reg/rec. There is a thread on this site that gives step by step instructions to test entire charging sys. The test said stator but im doing both and be done with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.