Honda Shadow Forums banner

86 Shadow 1100 3rd gear - bad

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  wagdog 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I posted earlier in the member introductions - but this is probably a better place...

I bought an '86 Honda Shadow yesterday. Bike is in great shape, 31K miles, etc.. did not get to take it out on the road for a test ride - came home in the back of a truck. My mistake.

In using 3rd gear, there is a loud clanking and obvious slipping. All of the other gears work fine. Now that I know about this problem, I have googled it and see that it's a common issue for these bikes.

I called the seller of the bike and he said "oh yeah, I did know that, I just didn't use 3rd gear, skip right over it". Sure would have been nice to know that yesterday.

Anyway, I do like the bike. In reading online, I see that a replacement gear is not available. Finding a used gearbox from a wreck might be possible, but then again, it too may have the same issue.

Can I just not use 3rd gear? Is there a safety issue with this mechanically? I think I can function without.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like the seller ripped you off pretty good.Either ride as is or get rid of the bike.Too old of a bike to sink that kind of money into Being a 1986 model hopefully you don't have more than a couple hundred bucks tied up in it. .Just my opinion of course.

#4 ·
Mmmm, more than a couple hundred for sure. I can ride w/o 3rd gear, but I'm not happy about it not being disclosed. It would have made a difference as to whether I bought that bike or not. I know it sounds naive, but I'm used to people being up front.

How much did you spend? You could just part out the bike and start over, or buy another with a better motor that "looks bad" for cheap and get one good bike. I doubt another will have the 3rd gear issue, I've not heard of this as a common problem at least.
$1K - which would have been worth it had the tranny been 100%. Googling that specific problem shows that it is pretty common - I just didn't think to google "honda shadow 3rd gear problem" before I bought the bike, lol. We did test drive it, just never got it out of second gear. Buyer beware, I should have known better. It's a sweet bike otherwise and in great shape... aside from the 3rd gear problem.

What I've read in various places is that people just get along w/o the 3rd gear. I've not read of the rest of the tranny failing because of this problem. Just curious if anyone knows otherwise?

#3 ·
How much did you spend? You could just part out the bike and start over, or buy another with a better motor that "looks bad" for cheap and get one good bike. I doubt another will have the 3rd gear issue, I've not heard of this as a common problem at least.

#8 ·
If he didn't instantly give me a full refund I'd sue him...and win. Screw that didn't tell you...that is total BS.
Yeah, he didn't tell me, and he admitted on the phone today that he knew about it but "forgot" to mention it. Unfortunately, I bought the bike and it's sold as-is, private sale.

Most people are. But it only takes one that isn't. Thus we are forced to never assume. Hopefully something works out for you, but chances are, riding a bike with no 3rd is no real option IMO.
I should know better, I really should. I'm pissed about it, but there really is nothing I can do. I take people at their word. Heck, I've bought and sold plenty of stuff online with total strangers for years and never had a deal go bad.

I would also be getting my money back.You will never be happy with a bike with a gear missing.
The seller really doesn't *have* to give me the money back, and he's said he isn't. I wish there was something I could do, but there isn't. Stuff sold as-is, is just that.

From what I'm reading, fixing it is way beyond my skillset. I'm really just sort of stuck with no 3rd gear. I'll be riding it tomorrow, we'll see if I can live with it or not.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.