Honda Shadow Forums banner

98 vt1100c2 ACE leaking gas

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  skrewflanders 
#1 ·
The bike was starting to drip a small amount after being ridden home (I get off work at 10pm) then parked overnight/sitting in the rising sun from what looked like the fuel pump area. At first I was thinking the tank vent might be causing this, as I've seen on a few threads here but decided to try the pump as it wasn't too expensive.

I ordered a new one for about $25, of the generic ones off ebay/amazon and a fuel filter at the same time, changed it out and the leaking went away for about two weeks. I went to fire it up to ride to work today and now it absolutely pours out as the bike is running.

It only does it when the bike is running, when its sitting it just drips, if I leave the petcock to "off" it doesn't leak at all while its sitting. Also I can hear a clicking coming from the pump as its running.

I still have the old pump and I'm planning on hooking it up to a battery tomorrow to try and see if that one is actually leaking. If it isn't then it's going back in the bike and the new one is going in the trash.

Any thoughts, help, relevant past experiences would be most appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
If it is worse now after a new pump did you get a low pressure pump? It doesn't need more that 2-3 pounds of pressure.

#5 ·
I doubt the cause of the leak is the fuel pump, Be careful running it with that bad of leak. Find the dripping, I would start by looking at replacing the fuel line's.

#9 ·
Had some time this morning to see if I could find where that damned leak is coming from. It's been killing me as the temps are starting to drop and the season will be gone before I know it.

Pulled the rear exhaust pipe and heat shield, the carb vent hose goes into the air box. I then pulled the seat and air box cover, there was a very small bit of gas in there so it had gotten in there at some point but not near the volume of whats leaking now. When I get more time this weekend I'll pull the cheapo pump I put and test it out of the bike to see if that's where its coming from. The hoses and connections all look good and are dry so I can't figure what else it'd be. Everything above the pump is dry and the drip is coming directly off the middle of the pump where it's pressed together.

#10 ·
Pulled the cheapo generic replacement pump today, tested it with a battery, some hoses and a small container of gas and just let it pump for a little bit, sure enough the part that's pressed together started dripping after a minute or so of running. I reinstalled the original pump and it runs just fine without any leaks or drips. I also pulled the air filter and there was some older looking gas in there. My guess is one of the floats was stuck causing it to drip a small amount out of the vent tube into the airbox and in turn out of the air box breather tube. The new pump leaked from day one and never should've been installed or at the very least tested and found defective before ever being put in the damn bike. Valuable lesson learned, keep it simple and the get more advanced! Someday i'll get it through my head....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.