Honda Shadow Forums banner

noise coming from clutch?

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Mopar 
#1 ·
for starters the bike is a 96 shadow 600, it currently has just over 20,000 miles on it.
About a month ago I noticed a faint noise coming from right side, near the clutch. The best way i can describe the sound is like a dirty skateboard bearing spinning, the noise is present when i rev the engine up and it starts to rev down, it last for a split second then goes away. It doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out or if i'm not moving.
The noise was faint at first but then it started to get louder after a couple weeks of riding, then the other day while out riding I got into fourth gear and gave her some gas, as the rpms rose to a certain point i heard what sounded like bolts in a metal can for a split second and then it stopped. I slowed down a bit and then sped back up and once again when the rpms got to a certain point i heard the noise again then it stopped.

I changed the oil at 17,000 about two months before i heard the first noise. I checked the oil level after hearing the noise and it was good.
I have checked the bike for anything loose the would rattle but no luck.
I have drained the oil (nothing metallic in it)and taken the cover off to look at the clutch for anything broken or loose but I cant find anything.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know

See less See more
#6 ·
I don't have the same engine but just guessing, could it be the cam chain and it needs the tensioner adjusted?
My '83 750 has supposedly auto chain tensioners but yours may be a manual adjustment. Something to check into. The rear cylinder chain is on the right side.

#8 ·
here is a video of the first noise, its kinda hard to hear but after the bike warms up it becomes more noticeable. I dont have a video of the second noise (4th gear/bolts in a metal can sound) because it sounded pretty serious and i got the bike home and shut off for fear of damaging it more

#12 ·
Not sure about the noise on the right side unless its a clutch drum bearing. the second noise you described sounds like detonation/ spark knock. Maybe from the gas you are running or carbon buildup on the piston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.