Honda Shadow Forums banner

Overheating problems? '86 Shadow 500

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  balloonot 
#1 · (Edited)
I crashed my own motorcycle about a month ago so I turned to my dad's old 1986 Shadow 500. It's very different than my old bike so I really have no clue how to do basic maintenance or how to fix the overheating problem.

My first question is, is there a manual somewhere? I may have found one online from a website but not sure if I want to trust it. My dad bought this bike a long time ago and does not know whether he lost it or even had one in the first place.

My second, how would I go about trying to fix the heating problem? Two ideas I want to try (but can't since I don't know how) are to flush coolant and to take off then clean my radiator.

I've tried taking out the radiator but just got stuck because the tubes connected are tight and not sure if I am supposed to even take them off.

Also, my buddy is also telling me that the fan may not be turning on also. I haven't really checked this but I will. But, in the case that it isn't turning on, would I have to buy a new fan or is it a wiring problem?

Thanks in advanced.

E* I forgot to go into detail, I apologize. I can probably take her out around 3-4 miles before the temperature needle hits red. (Distance from my place to my buddy's place) And only 3-4 miles. I don't really want to push the bike harder when the needle is already in the red.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ok. So the light is the only thing indicating the bike is over heating. Have you taken the radiator cap off while it is cool to see if the coolant level is low. Next unplug the wiring harness from the thermo switch and place a jumper between both wires. Turn the key on and the fan should run. The link below shows an exploded view of the radiator it will help you see how all the parts are connected to the radiator.

Lemond's Yamaha-Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuki & Kubota, Carter, Ltd. - Honda Power Equipment: Generators & Pumps

#7 ·
If the gauge goes up to red in only a few miles I believe the thermostat is stuck, or the radiator plugged and so no circulation.
Did you hear the fan come on when it was about 3/4 to the red zone? A circulation problem will not let the coolant go through the radiator and the lower tank of the radiator will stay cool and so the fan will never come on since it doesn't sense a hot condition.
First thing to do is take off the radiator cap when it is cool and check for enough coolant in the system.Then if it not very rusty inside replace the thermostat. If it is very rusty the radiator is suspect.

#8 ·
First thing to check is the fan, if its not coming on then that's more than likely your problem. Bad fan motor or fan thermal switch.

#9 · (Edited)
My 500 would get hot when stopped then go back to green on the temp gauge when moving. This would only happen when the temps were over 90 deg. I think you need to check to see if coolant is flowing first. Running lean caused by clogged carbs can make the 500 run hot also. try leaving full choke on and see if it heats up as fast. the choke is an enrichment system so it just makes the carbs rich. Another problem is small leaks in the intake system can make it lean.

#10 ·
First thing to eliminate as the problem is the fan/temp switch. As X said jump it out and make sure the fan comes on. A clymers manual will help u a lot. Next Ohm out the temp swicth and see what the ohms are. I'm sorry I don't remember what the resistance is supposed to be cold or hot. My manual is not with me.

I had the same issue. After ohming out the T-switch I found that it was bad. So I just bought a Mr. Gasket Temp gauge radiator cap and wired the fan to a toggle. Done deal. But my 500 is bobbered so its cool to do it. Doin this to a stock style bike may be concidered rigging it..lmao

Either way the stat is the last thing I would trouble shoot. Especially since the fan is electrically regulated. Not to mention the temp switches are a known failure on the first gen shadows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.