Honda Shadow Forums banner

Bike cranks but wont turn over

23K views 67 replies 12 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
2 days ago, my bike worked perfect. Today I turned it on and drove half a mile down the road. Bike shuts off but now it wont turn back on. So I tired adjust choke, thought it may be cold weather, no go. So I pushed it back home. Checked a fuse, fuse is fine, gas still in tank. Now all it does is crank but doesn't turn over. Couple of putt putt's heard from carb but mostly just cranks.

I'm thinking it was the battery because now it is almost dead from trying to start it. Any suggestions?

Info: 2004 Honda Shadow 600 VLX Del.

#60 ·
I watched the video a couple of times and saw about 35 seconds the carb wiggled when you did something on the left side of the bike. Is it fully seated into the rubber boot going to the head? My boots are so stiff it would not allow wiggle unless you pulled against it pretty hard. Maybe that is normal for your bike. But if not fully seated it could allow an air leak that would cause the symptoms you have.
Also might be a good time to pull at least one plug from each cylinder to see if they are fouled at this point.

#61 ·
I tried it again, made sure the carb was booted tightly, and also attached the air filter. It sounds like it really wants to start up and almost did at one point, but my damned battery wants to keep dying, the battery keeps irkin' me and I don't have a battery charger *(that I wish I really had) or a car battery. The worst part of this whole feud with my bike is that, its my primary transportation, so as much as I would love to go buy a car battery or charger, I only have that time when my wife is off work =(

#63 ·
At this point, order one online & have it delivered. It will save you lots of headaches.

Here's an inexpensive Schumacher at WalMart for $25 - Schumacher 1 Amp Manual Trickle with Quick Disconnect/Charger - Walmart.com

You could have it delivered in a few days and you'll be all set. You could even bribe your wife into taking you TO Wal-Mart, or hire an Uber to take you there & back, to save some time.

#64 ·
Sorry its been a couple of days without any updates. My dad bought a charger, he is dropping it off tomorrow morning. Had some fam business to take care of. Will be back to working on it probably Saturday morn when I get it charged.

#65 ·
Don't over charge it. It is recommended to charge these batteries at no more than 1 1/2 amps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.