Honda Shadow Forums banner

Why can't i find bolts online?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jpr1968 
#1 ·
So I was looking at my manual, and I turned the pages to "Frame/Body Panels/ Exhaust System". I was looking for the specific name of the bolts that go on the rear frame, now I know them as " Grab Rail Bolts". I was lucky enough to extract a broken bolt on my 2006 Honda Shadow VLX600, so I thought I'd replace the bolt. Now, I know I can just go down to a local shop, which is what I'll probably end up doing anyway. However, whats up with not being able to find this thing on the web? I tried looking up Honda Shadow bolt kits, but even then its kind of a hassle. Anyway, if anyone has info I'd appreciate it. Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
Ace is definitely the place!

A new found site to me if time isn't an issue. Chrome Nuts and Bolts | A I R Fasteners, Inc.

Bolt $1.75, hardened thick washer, $.66 each. Honda flange bolt #17, $5.47. Heck I would order a 1/4" washer & 5/16 washers @ that price because a 1/4" usually fits a 5/16"/8mm bolt just right! Besides a flat washer is better than a flange bolt head as far as wear on the mating parts.

Also shop different Honda supplier sites. The one I use the bolt is $1 cheaper. Best Honda PowerSports Parts Online. Shop Online to Save

Just came across this site and it was $3.76 for OEM. http://www.procaliber.com/

#8 ·
From the parts picture, the bolt is a flange head that has normal thread configuration (not threaded all the way up) not a shoulder bolt if its #17. I agree that OEM is the way to go but because any online order usually involves shipping costs that sux so to speak, I would go to a dealer but in my case that would 70 mi. away. The best my Ace stores could do is SS components which are not hard to polish if one has the goods to do this.

#7 ·
All these sources are great!

If you need several pieces, McMaster-Carr online is an excellent source for standard or metric or multiple kinds of washers or....most anything. Their online manual is MASSIVE.
They ship quick, but shipping may be cost-prohibitive unless you need several.

And for small stuff -really small- there's a website called microfasteners, I think it is.
Their stuff goes all away down to tiny aircraft locking nuts that you would almost have to tighten with tweezers. If you ever have a switch apart and can't find stuff to put it back together, they would be your source.

#9 ·
We have a fastener company called Copper-state here locally. They have absolutely the best selection and prices are even on par with the hardware stores. Half the time I go in there if it is something cheap they just hand them to you and tell you to have a nice day.

#11 ·
Any conversation about bolts would be lacking, if someone didn't mention Anti-Seize.

You beat me to it.

Over the years, I have developed an affinity for the copper kind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.