Honda Shadow Forums banner

VT600CD/VLX600 2001 Cant start without a choke

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  maadanchik 
#1 ·
Hi All:nerd:
So, i cant start the bike without a choke being pulled out, even if its the hottest day of the summer. It takes up to 5 minutes for the engine to warm up and after that it runs normally and if its still hot, starts right away without the choke.
- The carbs are clean (just cleaned them )
- Air filter is clean
- Idle air/fuel mixture is being adjusted to 1100+/- 100 rpms ( checked with digital tachometer ).
- Oil/Oil filter are changed too
- Coolant is changed

I was just wondering if thats normal or should i dig beyond normal maintenance procedures ?

#5 ·
These bikes are jetted too lean from the factory as far as the pilot jet is concerned. After installing a one size larger pilot jet, one shim under the needle, and opening up the mixture screw a half turn or so, I need no choke to start the bike in warmer weather.

Only time the bike needs any choke is in cooler/colder weather, say below 40*. Even then I've found some times the bike will start with no choke, but you need to keep the throttle open slightly to keep the rpms up. But it will start.

Just my experiences...:smile2:

#8 ·
*Update
After adjusting the idle speed to a manual spec (1200+/-100 rpm) my bike starts right away without choke and runs smooth. I still need to warm up the engine before riding but the start is very smooth. I was off by -500 rpm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.