Honda Shadow Forums banner

Dual horn ?'s

5K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  pastordave1 
#1 ·
I have a Wallo bad boy horn on my bike that I wired with the relay. What I'm thinking just to get it even louder is put a second one on, haven't looked for a mounting place for it yet but that should be no problem.
My question is can a second one be wired to the same relay? do I need a different type of relay with double out's? or another relay spliced in so the same horn switch fires them both off at the same time.
Also just as an experiment before I would spend the money on another horn can the stock horn be added in and how would it need to be wired, to the relay, before the relay like stock or a different relay with double outs?
I just don't want to fry my switch or anything else with too much of a load.

#5 ·
Looks good but your talking to a misionary pastor here that makes very little money that's why I'm trying to get away as cheap as I can and still have some noise! The one I have is loud but if I can make it even louder for not much more money that's what I want to do.

#7 ·
If you need a second horn after installing the Wolo, I think there is something wrong with the Wolo. Try reversing the wires on the horn. When I put my Stebil horn on my Sabre, it wasn't as loud as I thought it should be. I double and triple checked my wiring and everything was good, so I tried reversing the wires and the horn got a lot louder.

#12 ·
It's defiantly wired correctly and plenty loud I'm just trying to get it even louder with a second horn or at least add to it with the stock horn. Anything to make it even more noticeable. Around home and the highway here it plenty but on a busy freeway I'm not sure it's enough for people to hear with their stereo on etc. I guess I should have my wife drive the Rav4 on the freeway and see if she hears it loud enough. Just hard to find time to do a 75-100mile round trip just to try it if I can just hook up the stock horn in 20 minutes without driving two vehicle all that way.
The only thing is the Wollo will probably drown out the other that's why I'm thinking maybe another Wollo.

#8 ·
Couldn't you just hook up the two in series? Positive to the Wolo, and the negative from the Wolo going to the positive of the 2nd horn, with the negative from the 2nd going back to ground? Wouldn't that work, and still only use the one relay and not overload the circuit?

#15 ·
Also just as an experiment before I would spend the money on another horn can the stock horn be added in and how would it need to be wired, to the relay, before the relay like stock or a different relay with double outs?
I added an air horn with a relay and left the stock horn wired as is from the factory.

IMO, there's a legitimate safety reason for leaving the stock horn when adding and air horn. Air horn compressors fail, especially on a motorcycle where they're subjected to harsh conditions like vibrations and moisture from rain.

In fact, my air horn compressor seized on me one day and I didn't know it until a car started to pull out in front of me from a driveway. Lucky for me, the stock horn made enough noise to alert the driver, possibly saving me from a mishap.

You certainly don't want to be in a situation where you need to grab a big handful of horn-button, only to find out your fancy air-horn compressor died on you!
Having a second horn (whether it be the stocker or not) is a smart move....

Phil

#16 ·
Thanks, that makes sence, I'll give it a try. Does your relay come off the stock horn wiring or did you wire it seperate? It would be real easy to wire the stock horn back in using the original wires before the relay.

#24 ·
I have both the wolo horn and the stock working together. Makes for a great sound together as you get both the low and the high sounds. As I remember, I left the stock horn wired as it was and ran wires from it to the relay to trigger the switch. Wired the Wolo to the relay and they will work together with the wolo running only off the battery and not the wiring of the bike. Well worth it to leave the stock for dual effect.

#25 ·
Thanks, that's what I want to do and that's how I thought the wiring should be and the majority here seem to think so too but it's good to here a few who actually have it that way.
Hopefully I'll get on it this week some time!

#30 ·
Thanks, I had a similar chart when I worked maint but sold the book with a lot of my tools when I moved out here not thinking I'd need it.
I checked the wire and it is 16awg and only about 3 feet so I should be good without any problems. I think I may have time tomorrow to get it done. Just have to make a bracket for the Walo and put the stock back in the stock bracket and have them both bolted to the same spot so they'll be next to eachother.

#31 ·
Had some time yesterday before my ride then work to get this done. After seeing the relay was plenty big and wire was also plenty big I installed the oem horn on one part of the for piece bracket and the Wolo where it was only using 3 instead of 4 pieces of the bracket. Spread apart opposite they fit perfect so no new brackets to make just spliced two wires into the wires going to the Wolo and put connectors on them and connected the oem with the Wolo from the Wolo relay. Worked out great, very quick and easy and now i don't have to worry about the possibility of the air horn going out because i have backup.
About the only difference I can hear is a slight tone difference and slight duel sound. The Wolo way out powers the oem that unless you're close to them, which kills your ears all you hear is the Wolo but I'm happy with it as a very easy backup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.