Honda Shadow Forums banner

How do I go about buying the right side headlights?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve C 
#1 · (Edited)
Tailight and headlight questions

I love the three headlight look but I can't find anything on jpcycles.com that say its a direct fit. What do I need to know when shopping for this? I have a 1999 ace tourer vt1100t.

Also, I want my taillights to flash when I stop but I hate repeatedly pulling the brake lever to make it happen. What kind of product do I need? Anything specific for my bike or are they universal?

Lastly, what bulbs specifically should I get for my taillights so they are ultra bright?

#2 ·
Most Tourers came factory with the lightbar and two smaller driving lights that I believe you are referring to....eBay?
Got a windshield on your bike? You'll likely need the lightbar extender bracket, too. Moves the lightbar forward, so your windshield comes down around the headlight. Instead of resting on the rear top of your driving lights.
The factory driving lights & H4 headlights are decent, but eventually you'll want brighter.

Cyclops or OPT7 LED, for the headlight. Somebody here will chime in with the housings you'll need, to convert the driving lights on your lightbar to OPT7 LED's; in H7 size.

Good rule of thumb: LED's reduce the overall current draw. Quite a lot!

Brake strobe flashers are plain & simple, or fancy....as your wallet will allow.
MUST change brakelights to LED's first, though....stock bulbs are not built to strobe.
After trying several brake flashers, I came back to the $4.95 one from superbrightleds....parts # is LSC-100A.
For multiple brakelights, you may need one for each bulb, since the max load is 1.25A each.
They are freakinTINY, so no problem to hide....under the seat, or even in the stock brakelight housing!

eBay 1156 / 1157's LED's all suck, in my opinion.
I have ordered enough stuff from superbrightleds to be a stockholder....but I'm not. First rate stuff at a fair price, shipped quick.
Other sources: Oznium, Custom Dynamics, Hyper-Lite, Autolumination...

Regardless, best of luck!

#4 · (Edited)
Yes mine does have a windshield. I plan to remove it during spring but it will be put back on eventually too so I'll stick with that extender you mentioned. As for the bulbs I plan to use the same brand hid kit I have in my Cadillac, extremely bright and a damn good price. Brand is ddmtuning.com if anyone is interested. Now that I think about it I think I have an unused H4 hid kit somewhere that I bought for a friend but he never got around to it.

By telling me the LEDs reduce the draw, is that something I need to know? What's the benefit/drawback of it?

Thanks for the information about the led and the strobe they will save me a TON of money. I'm on that website and see several options for the bulbs, any difference other than brightness?

A wise man that Gnarly is. He will not steer you wrong Gymjunkie.
oh I can definitely tell, I'm happy he chimed in

#5 · (Edited)
Thanx, 7x....but MOST of that?
I learned here, for free....plus some stuff on my own, by trial-and-error.

Often: error.
Experience is one mother of a teacher!

Benefits of lower current draw? Your electronics last longer!
Battery, rectifier/ regulator, and stator.

Only drawbacks I know would be: LED's cost more than stock bulbs.

As far as which LED tail / brake lights to buy, get the brightest that will fit in your housings....safety first.

#9 · (Edited)
Also, I want my taillights to flash when I stop but I hate repeatedly pulling the brake lever to make it happen. What kind of product do I need? Anything specific for my bike or are they universal?
BackOFF? XP Brake Light Module - Signal Dynamics

Easy to install if you can get the saddle off the bike. Don't even need to solder if you use Posi-Taps.

By telling me the LEDs reduce the draw, is that something I need to know? What's the benefit/drawback of it?
Mostly insignificant for tail lights and turn signals -- though it is (barely?) possible to matter if your accessories take you to the limit of what our charging systems can produce. If you're going LED on these it is for brighter lights.

Headlight and light bar are more significant; they draw more electricity. You might face issues fitting the LEDs into your hardware. Maybe dissipating heat, too. Nothing that hasn't been solved by someone else already, though.

#13 ·
Gnarly, what did you mean by light bar extenders? I tried looking but I'm not finding anything that might be what you are talking about

Checked, it said it was not compatible. I did find these though, not sure how much I like them or how good they even are considering the price.

It would help to see pic's of your ride, there are all kinds of options out there. You want to avoid using high wattage bulbs. You bike only has so much current available.
What can I do to increase the current available? Because I would like to get an HID kit/bulb into my main headlight and also into each side light.

#12 ·
It would help to see pic's of your ride, there are all kinds of options out there. You want to avoid using high wattage bulbs. You bike only has so much current available.

#16 · (Edited)
To increase power to headlight run a 12 gage fused wire from battery( best through some tubing for more safety) to a 20+ amp fog light relay to low beam light, feed into low beam bulb triggered by low beam switch at light to relay coil, repeat for high beam with another relay use same wire just split it to the relays, it should all fit in headlight bucket mine did on my 96 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow and in the faring on my 82 Honda GL500I tour bike. I run a Hella 100/80 watt bulb w/ light modulator and two 55watt driving lights(210 watts just for lights) Solder all wires( to head light wire harness so it will still plug into light bulb) and use shrink wrap insulators . Don't exceed watts put out by charging system by 75-80%, mine is close but still charges. Consider LED's like this; http://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Motorcyc..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1GG3DC38ZMJ64EWQ4BZ2. they won't require extra the wiring just plug them in , only 40 watts. That light bar from EBay has cheap plastic lights on it. Anybody tried it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.