Honda Shadow Forums banner

First post in years. Vt700 Help?

945 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  h13man 
#1 ·
Hey all. Its been years since ive posted here. I started on this forum when I got my first bike in 2012 and now I have a second bike and a project bike (74 CB550). Working on my project has taught me a lot about bikes that I never knew before. Knowledge I wish I had when I first got a motorcycle years ago. Now that I realize this, I know ive made mistakes with my first carb cleaning in 2012 on my 86 VT700. I never synced them! Anybody have a link to a solid "how to" video? She seems to be running as strong as ever so I guess I was pretty close back then but I want her running as strong as she can be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
This video is good enough. He's performing it on a 4-cylinder and the basic operation is the same. Find the adjustment screw and get very comfortable with getting to it before starting your adjustments. Make sure the engine is at full running temp. Make sure you have ample fuel supply, and doing be afraid to experiment, moving the carbs well out sync while the gauges are on so you fully understand how it feels and sounds in and out of sync; the difference will be more noticeable on a twin than a four cylinder.

If you want a basic sync, bam, you're done.

Here's one specific to v-twins.

Editorial...

In the first video, he seems to be doing it at speed and not at idle, and a lot of people will simply tell you to rev it to about 3000 rpm to do the sync. There are pros and cons both ways, and it really comes down to what you choose to believe. Me...? I've been doing this a long time, and I recommend doing it at idle, then run it up with some throttle to see if it's grossly out and take note, rather than just doing it at speed. Why?

Because in neutral, unloaded, a free-revving engine will give DRASTICALLY different RPM and throttle positions than an engine in gear, under load. If you sync your engine at 3000 RPM unloaded, in neutral, you're basically taking a wild-ass-guess. It will NOT, then, be in sync at 3000 RPM because your throttle position will be VERY different. IMO, just do it at idle, or at a high-idle, and you'll be close enough. Free revving just makes it more of a guess. $.02

#3 ·
The VStar 1100 video gauge works very well for twin cylinder bikes. I originally built mine to do my 4cyl. ZR7 as suggested by fellow members of ZR7 forum members. I've used it on the Valk but I'm thinking on a DigiSynch setup for all synching in the future but $$$ are not flowing yet this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.