Honda Shadow Forums banner

Starting Problem - Intermittent

9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Ramie 
#1 ·
My 09 750C2 has been having an intermittent problem. Won't always crank when I push the start button. Sometimes it will make a small noise and then nothing. Sometimes it will start on the first push. Sometimes it will take 5 pushes to get it to crank.
Is this likely a switch problem or a relay? Any ideas?

#2 ·
Start with the basics. Check all cable connections from the battery, starter motor, start switch, and everything in between. Make sure your battery is FULLY charged when you are working on the bike.

Second, clean the starter switch. Lots of threads on this using the search. It's a common problem, relatively easy to accomplish, and CHEAP fix if it's the problem.

If you do these steps and you're still having problems, give us more info to go on. Good luck!

#5 ·
Is this likely a switch problem or a relay? Any ideas?
Switch (the start button) is commonly an issue on Shadows and always my first suspicion with what you describe. If I could hear the sound it makes when not cranking then I could tell you right off -- distinctive but difficult to describe. Have never had the issue with my bike (installed a Gonzo harness early) so I can't make a recording.

Here's some relevant info.

#6 ·
These guys are awesome! Buttons and switches on Honda's or any bike that may get moister from being outside or getting caught in the rain are susceptible to malfunctions. I see this on Goldwings and their 100 button setups haha. I find that using SILICONE spray works amazing with plastic internals and there ability to slide and move to actuate the system circuits. ANOTHER helpful tip is with those pesky turn signal toggle switches. They stick and feel crunchy after a while when using them. Apply your lubricating spray directly inside and function the switch. You will be amazed.

#7 ·
Buttons and switches on Honda's or any bike that may get moister from being outside or getting caught in the rain are susceptible to malfunctions.
Moisture isn't the big issue on Shadows. More that too much voltage is run through the switch's contacts on startup. Not a robust design at all. I've also seen the problem on Valkyries. Not sure whether it's on other Honda models or not.

#8 ·
It wouldn't voltage, it would be current but I don't think that's the problem either after having to do switch cleaning on tow Honda's. The contacts weren't burnt, they were starting to corrode. More then likely low quality metal that the contacts are made of and the corrosion would be from moisture.

#9 ·
I applied Electrical Joint Compound as a continuous cleaning agent to my switches back in 07 when I cleaned and lubed them, haven`t been back since...

Scorched contacts & Crud was the culprit inside That I found...

Rode Johns` VTX to town earlier, he didn`t use EJC when he cleaned his starter switch, it is showing them symptoms again...

Do it right the first time,
D

God, please heal our nation

#10 ·
Yup, switch needed a cleaning. Took it apart, cleaned the contacts and lubed it up. the small contact on the button itself appeared to be sticking. (as it is spring loaded) took it apart and used some dielectric grease and it works great now!
Thanks for the input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.