Honda Shadow Forums banner

Front brake issue - '96 VT1100C2

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  gui_tarzan 
#1 ·
So my brakes both work well as far as stopping goes, but my front brake lever feels like it's sticking when I pull on it. My guess is it's the cable or switch. Do the switch mechanisms get funky or should I suspect a dry/bad cable?

#9 ·
Cable? Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking there. I know these are hydraulic, not cable.

I just went out and looked at it again. When the lever goes into the master cylinder, it almost feels like the plunger is sticking when I pull on the lever past the point where it triggers the brake light. I have no idea how long it's been or if the fluid has ever been changed. I guess I could start there.

#10 ·
How does the fluid look in the sight glass? Clear = new. Turns brown with age as it absorbs water. Darker the brown the bigger the potential problems. Just changed mine last month at light tan after two or three years. (Don't have my service records with me.)

#11 ·
Yup replace the fluid, check the master is clean inside, check holes are clear, it may need to be striped if gunk is pressent in the base as the return holes ect may be blocked

yest also check lever pivots.

Caliper pistons can also be an issue with crud around the but the brakes will drag after being used.

#13 ·
I finally got around to changing my fluid this weekend. It was nasty brown and now it's nice and clear like it should be. The lever still sticks a little when you first start pulling it but not nearly as bad as it was. I also put a little dry silicone on the pivot and where it pushes the plunger in the master cylinder. I suspect the MC needs a rebuild but it works a ton better so that might be a winter project.

Thanks for the tips!

#14 ·
#15 ·
...keep a rag under the master cylinder to keep fluid off the bike...
Typically I'll put a crinkled up sheet of aluminum foil under the master cylinder then place the rag inside that. Sometimes I'll get real creative and form the foil to hang from the handlebar. Makes it MUCH harder for me to knock the rag on the ground just before that big spill of brake fluid.

#17 ·
So you just did the fluid change and lubed the handle pivot? My front brake feels like crap. When you squeeze the lever it starts to engage the brake, then kind of catches till you squeeze harder then it moves and brakes harder. So it makes for jerky braking, very hard to smoothly apply brakes or modulate control.

I have fluid, and rebuilt kits for the master and calipers, but would prefer waiting till winter to take everything apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.