Honda Shadow Forums banner

Spirit 750 misfire/speedo issue

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bd* 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm a new member of the forum, however it's been an extremely valuable tool for me in the past and I'm hoping to contribute when I can. Anyway, I was out riding my 2002 spirit 750 today, after about 10 minutes I started to get a hesitation in the engine and noticed my speedometer bouncing drastically. Is there any correlation with the two? I've begun taking her apart and found she needs a tuneup (just got her a couple weeks ago), but I'm not sure where the speedo bounce comes into play? I find it hard to believe that the two aren't connected, they happened at the exact same time. Also, are my spark plug wires supposed to separate from the plastic boot part? Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Speedo is mechanically driven from the front axle and converted into a digital signal sent to the speedo head. The only thing the two share , engine and speedo, is power and ground. So if the two are related, you have an electrical issue. More than likely, the speedo issue is the plastic gear in the drive unit is worn and slipping. Cheap and easy to replace by pulling the front wheel.

For the hesitation, clean the carbs and fuel filters, check plugs and wires, battery voltage and connections.

Download the manual and get to work. Honda VT750DC Shop Manual

#5 ·
Well, I finally had some time to work on the bike. I'm pretty embarrassed to say that it was nothing more than a loose connection on the negative side of the battery. I found this after a complete tuneup BUT I suppose a tuneup is never a bad idea anyway. So....long story short, I'm back on the road and hopefully this will help someone else realize NEVER OVERLOOK THE SIMPLE STUFF.

#6 ·
You done found your Gremlin, but I WAS gonna suggest that My son Johns` VTX had a loose battery cable causing his misfire & speedometer to act up as you described yours WAS doing...
Lets Ride,
D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.