Honda Shadow Forums banner

84 750 shadow clutch/slave hyd issue

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ericfx1984 
#1 ·
Well I am on to my next problem area. I drained the fluid out of the slave cyl and got a little out. It was dark and dirty. I purchased some new DOT 3 fluid and flushed the system and attempted to bleed the air out. I was hoping to get the existing system to work. But to no avail. I just could not get the air to quit bubbling up out of the bleed screw. So once again I bit the bullet and took it all apart. Good thing I did as the seals were all quite worn. The sharp edge on the master and slave piston seals were causing the problems along with the dirt on the cylinder walls. I ordered rebuild kits for both and they will be here by mid week. I need to have the clutch working, so I can confirm the shifting mechanism, clutch basket and transmission are operational. Oil has been drained and filter removed. New oil and filter will be installed before starting up and trying it out. Hopefully success by the end of the week! Thanks, Bob

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome to the site swslaton, It is a great place to get help. I am sure after you gain more experience, you will be able to assist others. I bought both of them off Ebay, Here are the web addresses for them. When you open each of these you have to page down to see the list of Bikes these will fit.
Clutch slave cylinder
Honda VF700C VF700S VF700F VFR700F VT700C Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit | eBay

Clutch Master cylinder
Honda VF700C VF700F VF700S Magna Interceptor CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER Rebuild Kit

Good luck with your clutch rebuild. Bob

#5 ·
I have cleaned up my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, in preparation for my new rebuild kits, arriving in a couple days. I also purchased and received 2 site glass windows already. Here is where I am at. The reddish material was extremely hard to remove. Various solvents or the DOT 3 fluid would not touch it, I used 800 grit wet/dry sand paper on the piston of the slave cylinder. I used 1500 grit wet/dry paper on the bore of the slave cylinder to remove the crust that was coating the walls. At this time, I plan on re-using the heat insulator gasket. Hopefully I can find a replacement in the future. thanks, Bob

Attachments

#6 ·
Don't forget to run a pin through the tiny return port under the metal shield.

#7 ·
I had not done that, but now I will. Thank You very much. Finding out later, that something is amiss, is not fun, especially when you have to go back in to find out why. My brother's father-in law, was a Master Auto Mechanic and he would constantly say; "Look for the obvious" I think that small hole would come under that simple truth. Thanks again swifty. Take care, Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.