Honda Shadow Forums banner

Clutch Cable Help

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jpr1968 
#1 ·
When I was replacing the grips on my recently purchased 2002 ACE 750C, I decided to swap out the old throttle cables and clutch cable. Now I can't get the clutch to engage and the bike won't go into gear. I have it tightened as far as it will go, as you can see in the picture.

It looks like the cable may be too long by a couple of inches. This is the cable and the site said that it fit my bike.

Motion Pro 62-0364 Armor Coat Stainless Steel Clutch Cable

Am I missing something? Is there a simple way to shorten the cable or do I need to order a shorter one? Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you happen to compare the two before doing the install? That's the easiest way, although sometimes folks use the old cable to snake the other cable through the bike during install.

How is the adjustment up at the lever? Is that set correctly? I'd bet that if you are all out like your picture shows, that cable is too long.

Good luck with it.

#3 ·
The overall length of the cable should not be a problem (as long as it is longer than the original), other than having extra cable to route. The IMPORTANT THING is the length of the exposed cable, from the barrel back to the end of the protective shield, If it is the same length as the original cable, it should work. However, if the EXPOSED CABLE IS ACTUALLY 2 INCHES LONGER THAN THE ORIGINAL EXPOSED CABLE LENGTH, then you won't be able to adjust it enough. Also, you could put the original cable back on and see if it works, If it does, then I would definitely return the cable for a refund. Good luck, Bob

#4 ·
Don't see what cable length would have to do with anything. Think about it this way...if you put 12" Apes on the bike and get cables 6" longer they still should work right? I bet you just need to adjust that cable per the tech manual. Generally speaking you want to be able to fit a nickel in the space between the lever and the perch when holding the lever before it pulls the cable.

Edit: Bob beat me to it, and he is correct as well.

#7 ·
If the exposed section of cable is too long, that would be your problem. I looked it up on Motion-Pro's website and that is the correct cable number. I would contact Motion-Pro and tell them what your problem is. It may be that the wrong cable was in the package marked with right number. (650) 594-9600

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.