Honda Shadow Forums banner

Cleaned carbs, bike pulls good again... but

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ericfx1984 
#1 ·
this is on my 1985 VT700c

I also cleaned out the air filter... it was nasty... air hose took care of that

I found rust in the bowls... (seen in the last post here)

The bike mostly runs well now... BUT!!!

It's popping quite a bit out the exhaust, something it never did before not when you are accelerating, but rather when you are coming off the gas

Rear idle screw is at 4.5 turns, front is at 3.75... thats what it was when I got the bike

#4 · (Edited)
4.5 turns out seems extreme. You got air getting into the system somewhere. Check the carb boots. You also said you blew out the air filter. Maybe this damaged it to where too much air is getting through it. Are the snorkel and air intake tubes properly connected to the air box?

#8 · (Edited)
ok, correct me if I am wrong. But the more your turn the screws out. The more you lean the bike out right? . Turning in rich ens it, thus causing my popping at idle. The un burnt gas gets pushed into the pipe then fires in it. I think my problem is to high of a float level. I am 3 turns on the front and about 6 on the rear.

#11 ·
Thanks, Glad I found that out before I went back into my carbs. I didn't mean to jack your thread either Eric. This helped me out a lot since I was thinking I was running to rich. Glad I didn't try to make it run at 3 turns like the other carb. :grin2:

#14 · (Edited)
Well I tried leaning out the rear cylinder as suggested... it was popping a little on deacceleration and somewhat bluing the exhaust on the rear cylinder

For now I will go back to 4.65 turns on the rear cylinder, until I track down the problem

Can anyone show me pics of how they gave their vacuum hoses hooked up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.