Honda Shadow Forums banner

help with bike please

4K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  X3r0 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 honda shadow 600cc it was running but somebody stole 2 spark plug wires and did something to make it not crank it turns over but doesn't get power to the coils and the headlight won't turn on I need a simple basic wiring diagram just to get the bike running I'm not worried about lights or signals just minimum needed to get the bike to crank

#46 · (Edited)
So someone ripped the wires from the coils... and because you assume they worked before, they must work now...

They damaged your coils. get new coils.

nevermind.. read the whole thing.. people ...

#6 ·
Not sure other than some wires from under the seat I've downloaded that manual the wiring diagram in it was blurry and complicated I'm not a very good mechanic so I was looking for a simple way to get it running with minimal wires just basic barebones running bike no headlight start button etc I can touch the terminals on the solenoid to get it to turn over if I can get it running I'll probably wire in lights signals etc later on.

#7 · (Edited)
You can zoom WAY in on that PDF. It was scanned at a pretty high resolution. It's not perfect, but it's very readable.

The headlight is one of the first things to turn on when you flip the key to "ON", so if you're not getting that much, you have big problems. It sounds like you're going to need someone experienced alongside you to help you discover what's now missing and teach you how to read that blurry schematic. It might mean spending some money, possibly buying some beers to bribe them, etc. And it's going to be very time consuming. In the end, you will have a bike you can ride with confidence.

Have you talked to your insurance? Do they cover vandalism?

#8 ·
I know the bike is messed up I think some of the harness was stolen aside from the spark plug wires and I think everything else is there so I think the wires coming from the icm may have something to do with it not getting power to the coils can someone point out what wires do what coming from the icm

#9 ·
That's in the service manual. Honestly, if you can't read that service manual, this is going to be near-impossible over the internet. You need local help.

#13 ·
They aren't "random" they either define colors or map to other wires. And can you explain what is different between the two models?

Please, understand, you need someone local and experienced to inspect what has happened to your bike.

#17 ·
You need to find someone to help you personaly but you seem to hide your location from us to be a help.
Yup.

And yes a up to date/right manual would be nice.
There seems to be one linked in this thread. Don't know from VT600s and have no idea whether or not the manual is still there and/or is a genuine Honda manual. But it does seem like motorcycleguy has trouble reading wiring diagrams so he DEFINITELY needs someone standing at his side helping him.

#18 ·
I guess y'all misunderstood my question I understand there's wiring diagrams listed with probably the correct way to completely rewire the bike but I'm just getting into working on bikes and I can't read that complicated wiring diagram there's a lot of unnecessary wires fuses relays lights signals etc as I said I'm just trying to get it running and I'm not worried about lights and signals it seems like it should be as simple as run a hot wire to the coils with a toggle switch and make sure it's getting fuel and it should crank but I've asked about that through others and they say that would burn the motor up some say it would crank at all idk but the question was for a simple basic wiring diagram maybe drawn by y'all and posted on here minimum needed for the bike to crank is the goal at the moment

#19 ·
You CAN take the complete wiring diagram and only use the parts of it which you need. The reason the wiring diagram is so complicated is because the wiring of your bike is THAT complicated. There really are (should be?) that many wires on your bike. Each is color coded, and represented by color code on the wiring diagram. So, if you find a purple and orange wire which has been cut, you can look at the wiring diagram to see if it is important or not.

All of that aside, you really need someone at your shoulder to help you identify what is missing. Since the headlight doesn't turn on when you turn the key, but the starter does work, something very - VERY - low level has been removed.

#20 ·
With a good battery touching the solenoid terminals will turn the starter regardless of key being in or not also the wiring diagram I've got on a off I got off google somewhere isn't color coded and just a bunch of wires can't tell what direction the wire goes cause they're all black and blend into each other. There's no power going to the coils not through them but to them how do the coils get their power step by step by step on how do I rewire my coil packs so it's getting fire plz cause it's getting fuel I took apart the carberator a few times since I've had it and before whoever stole whatever off my bike I'd just about had it ready to ride it'd crank with a charged battery every time I think all that was taken was some wires from under the seat and a couple spark plug wires

#21 ·
Wait...so when you said this:

...it turns over but doesn't get power to the coils and the headlight won't turn on...
It actually doesn't turn over when you turn on the key and press the start switch?

Please, take it to someone who has experience. Call your insurance to see if vandalism is covered. You do not want to start learning about wiring and wiring diagrams for this project.

#22 ·
It used to turn over with the start button but at some point I think before parts were stolen it stopped working I'd press the button and headlight go dim but no start unless I touched the terminals. I have no insurance as it hasn't been driven since I've had it

#23 ·
....holy crap....Let's start over with the complete story.

You have a 2000 VLX that has never worked correctly since you have owned it. Then someone vandalized it and you don't know what has been taken. Since the vandalism, there is no activity when you turn the key on. You have minimal experience working on motorcycles, reading wiring diagrams, and basic electrical troubleshooting skills, but you are eager to learn.

Is that a good summary?

Dude, you are getting in way over your head and the learning curve is only getting steeper. You need experienced, local help with this. I applaud your willingness to learn how to do this yourself, but if you want to learn start with something you know is working. Trust us on this one. The current condition of the bike you are working on is a terrible place to start without experienced help teaching you along the way.

#27 ·
Not sure I'm getting this.

You are asking for someone with wiring expertise to weed out what you don't need, who also has a program for editing copyrighted diagram material from a published manual, so you can have a shortcut to fix your likely-vandalized bike?

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.