Honda Shadow Forums banner

Install Quite Baffles in V&H Cruzer exhaust - nothing to screw into?

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr. Dave 
#1 · (Edited)
Short version: Is this setup okay: Quiet baffles attached by 1-1/2" machine screws with a 3/4" gap between the top 3" disc of the new baffles and the original baffles?

My 1998 VT750 ACE has Vance & Hines Cruzer pipes which are too loud for me, so I ordered the Smartpartz Hard Kore Quiet Baffles for Vance & Hines 3" Cruzers (SPZVH300CZN).

The installation instructions show the 3" circle at the end of the quiet baffles fitting flush against the original baffles ... but my original baffles actually project out a bit of pipe, about 3/4", so the circle at the end of the new baffles doesn't sit flush against the originals ... there's a 3/4" gap.

The included machine screws are about 1/2" and don't reach at all. 1" machine screws almost reach, but all they did was make a hole with the self piloting end of the screw, not get the threads into the original baffles.

I used 1.5" screws and they reached fine, though two of them just spun through the rusted original baffles and are not really holding anything in place, but three screws on each baffle stuck in quite well. The quiet baffles are quite a tight fit so they're not going anywhere regardless.

I also emailed SmartPartz and will update here when they reply.

Is this an appropriate setup? Is there something weird about my Vance & Hines Cruzers that made this an odd install?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
SmartPartz staff replied,

Thank you for your email and the pic
Your solution is definitely satisfactory.
Normally the cap on the original baffle is around the other way so that it is a flat surface for our baffle, but as i said, your solution will work fine.
Kind regards
Chris
Customer Service
Smartpartz.com

#3 ·
Can you take a photo of your bike with the pipes.. i like the idea of an aftermarket that still looks like stock.. i'm assuming your's is that setup.

And yeah, as long as the baffle restricts most of the outflow you're good.

#6 ·
Oh thank God someone on here is having the same issue as I am even though it was awhile ago, I have the same exact bike (color and all) I have a few questions if you don't mind... Did you have to re-jet when you put on your V&H? If so, what did you use? As far as baffles go, did it help? I bought my bike w the pipes on it and it's just a little too loud for my liking. Otherwise I LOVE the bike... Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Attachments

#7 ·
This is an old thread. But, you could try something like this. Adjustable to your taste.

#8 ·
Hey Thank you for the info!! Sorry I'm just get back to everyone now! Well turns out the dealership has some things to fix on my bike anyway. Re jetting and clutch replacement. I got it half way home and it was rattling on the clutch side, and was running really rough about 45 minutes into my ride home...
Not happy BUT at least they are making it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.