coolant for 1995 honda shadow ace 1100 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default coolant for 1995 honda shadow ace 1100

I am in the process of changing the coolant on my 1995 Honda Shadow ACE 1100. Although the coolant looks pretty clean I just purchased this bike used and wanted to start with all the service items new. The owners manual says to use an ethylene glycol coolant with corrosion protection inhibitors. An aftermarket maintenace manual further states not to use antifreeze products with silicate inhibitors. After buying a new radiator cap at Honda for 27.00 I don't want to buy the coolant from Honda! I have checked most of the antifreeze products at our local parts store and could only find one that does not contain either silicate or phosphates.
This is a product put out by GM called DEX-COOL. It's an extended life antifreeze and also says it it it to be used with autos and trucks with aluminum radiators. It says that it contains sodium 2 ethyl hexanoate and sodium neodecanoate. Not sure what that is but the sodium part concerns me and also the color of this antifreeze is a reddish orange.
Anyone out there that has used this product? Do you think this is okay for my application? Also is it my imagination but after looking at the recovery tank several times I can not find the upper and lower fill limit lines as shown in the manual. Any help that can be passed along my way would be appreciated. Thanks............bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to cycleheart1100c

Do a web search on dexcool, it has a bad reputation for corrosion. Your ace only holds a little over 2 quarts of coolant. If it were me I'd use the honda stuff. IMHO
PGR
cycleheart1100c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Your information is correct regarding the need for a silicate free (the container must say 'silicate free') coolant. As for brands I'll refer you to our resident expert, Mark C's web site. Please read all the information.
http://users.zoominternet.net/~capronem/index2.html

The silicates in coolants have been blamed for prematurely wearing out the plastic in motorcycle water pumps. I have personally used the Prestone Longlife Dexcool since purchase in both the 2001 and 1984 Shadows with no problems and will be using Prestone Longlife Quickfill premixed this year as it is silicate and phosphate free and I only need one jug for my bike. Your coolant should be changed out every two years. If you can't feel the raised level lines on the recovery tank just keep it filled above the centre line of the tank and you'll be fine.

Dave
I NEED A BIGGER GARAGE!
Daver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default DEX COOL

I just googled DEX COOL and boy am I glad I asked you guys. Yep, guess I better bit the bullet and get the Honda stuff.

Thanks........bill
Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

captmarvel,

From post's I've read on this and other motorcycle forums, I'd steer clear of the DEX-COOL.

I've bought both Walmart's Super Tech 50/50 Extended Life and Prestone 50/50 Extended Life anti-freeze. I haven't used either yet. Both say they can be used on any make or model and with any color anti-freeze. The Super Tech also mentions that it can be used with aluminum engines.

The Prestone web site says the 50/50 Extended Life is silicate (and phosphate and boron) free. I'm planning on using this when I change the coolant on both Spirit 1100's we have.

Jim
jfusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to all for your help. I went with the TEXACO Extended life as recommended. Just finished changing the coolant for the first time and all and all it was not too bad of a job. Also installed a new drain bolt and gasket after reading one of the post regarding breaking this bolt off.

Thanks.......Bill
Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmarvel
Thanks to all for your help. I went with the TEXACO Extended life as recommended. Just finished changing the coolant for the first time and all and all it was not too bad of a job. Also installed a new drain bolt and gasket after reading one of the post regarding breaking this bolt off.

Thanks.......Bill
Boy, you guys worked this out before I got the chance to check in
If you buy the pre-deluted (per-mixed) then your good to go! but if you bought the straight antifreeze then be sure you used "Only" distilled water and not tap water to delute it to a 50/50 mix.
MarkC
#27 in W.M.R
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default coolant change for Honda Shadow

Thanks Mark,

I did indeed use distilled water for the 50/50 mix. I had some extra and also used distilled water when I flushed the recovery tank. Only problem I had after bleeding the system was having my wife pour in the last of the antifreeze to top of the system while I held the bike in an upright level position. She didn't spill too much!!!!!

Thanks again to all the responded to this question.........bill
Old 01-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

MarkC

Do you know if Peak Global Lifetime is silicate free?
The label says it is good for all cars including from Japan, but the ingidents say it has a "pripretary inhibitor".
tikicarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

ops, never mind, found the answer on their website

"Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free"
tikicarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement