Increase HP ??? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Increase HP ???

I found this advice from someone who has" juiced up " their 750 ace. Just wondering of someone here has the same " quick and easy " advice for 1100 Areo ??

"I ride a 2003 Deluxe Candy Orange Motif, last year of the ACE, & love it. It's perfect for my size, with lotsa poop! Cruising 85 mph. is nothin'. What you need to know is, they are all set lean at the factory, for mileage, emissions etc. They don't perform well out of the box. I added Cobra Low Boys, removed the baffles, added a K&N filter, and removed the air box filter. I re-jetted to stage 3, with 134 & 138 jets, and with needles on the third notch. In addition, did the 4-degree advance mod, and replaced the clutch springs. WHAT A DFFERNCE!!! It's like adding 150 cc's to the engine! All I did was, FREE UP the engine to run normal. Each gear is longer, @ 85 mph I shift to fifth. Bottom end torque, mid range, and top end, all improved immensely "

Thanks !

doggie
doggie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

You've already done everything you can and more than most people.

The only way to get more hp out of a shadow is to replace the engine with one made for high hp, the shadow v-twin was not.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Increase HP ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggie62
I found this advice from someone who has" juiced up " their 750 ace. Just wondering of someone here has the same " quick and easy " advice for 1100 Areo ??

"I ride a 2003 Deluxe Candy Orange Motif, last year of the ACE, & love it. It's perfect for my size, with lotsa poop! Cruising 85 mph. is nothin'. What you need to know is, they are all set lean at the factory, for mileage, emissions etc. They don't perform well out of the box. I added Cobra Low Boys, removed the baffles, added a K&N filter, and removed the air box filter. I re-jetted to stage 3, with 134 & 138 jets, and with needles on the third notch. In addition, did the 4-degree advance mod, and replaced the clutch springs. WHAT A DFFERNCE!!! It's like adding 150 cc's to the engine! All I did was, FREE UP the engine to run normal. Each gear is longer, @ 85 mph I shift to fifth. Bottom end torque, mid range, and top end, all improved immensely "

Thanks !

doggie
doggie62,

This is just a friendly piece of advice, if you want more performance, buy a higher performance machine, you'll have something that has some value to it when you are done with it.

Back in the day, we used to swap motors, rearends, transmissions and tires. We didn't have a lot of money, but we did have a lot of ambition and time. We could make a Rambler run like a Corvette. At the time, it all seemed like a lot of fun, but, you couldn't sell one of those to anyone unless they specifically wanted to buy your hotrod.

2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 - Wife's

2002 Suzuki GSXR 600- Son's
Olivereaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

You have to take any advise including including mine with a grain of salt. If he is not shifting into 5th on a 750 until 85MPH then his engine is not long for this world. I'm also of the opinion that if you have enough time to tinker with the bike to get it right then you can go ahead and put on some pipes, rejet and open up the air box for improved flow and power. As for me if I want more power then I'd go get a bigger bike as I just don't have the desire or time to spare.

2005 Aero

1972 Honda XL250 Motorsport
2006 Rebel - daughter (Now gone)
1974 XL100
thunderglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderglass
...If he is not shifting into 5th on a 750 until 85MPH then his engine is not long for this world.
Not necessarily... The 750 Shadows are meant to turn higher rpm's than most people run them at. The engines have rev limiters that prevent them from reaching a harmful rpm such that the valves float, etc. If he's screaming down the highway at 85mph in fourth gear hour after hour, then yeah, it probably isn't doing any good. OTOH, if he's just accelerating, and shifting into fifth at 85, nothing wrong with that. (unless he gets stopped for speeding...)

Quote:
...As for me if I want more power then I'd go get a bigger bike as I just don't have the desire or time to spare.
I agree...

Also, people would have you believe that they get tremendous performance improvements by tinkering.. Opening the intake, rejetting, aftermarket exhaust, etc. In reality, the most you'll gain is about 10%, and that's if you get it all right. Many people actually lose power, but because the bike is louder, they *think* it's faster. Now you CAN get your bike to run BETTER with a rejet (less stumbling and less popping), and maybe make it sound better with new pipes, but if you really want a more powerful bike, go buy one.

Roadliner mileage log
shroomhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

but if you really want a more powerful bike, go buy one.

This sounds more like a quote from a motorcycle owner than a motorcyclist.
Steve157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve157

Call me what you will. I love tinkering with my bike. I have owned my bike for over three years. I have rejetted several times, messed with intakes/exhaust, changed the gearing, done ALL my own maintenance, including valve adjustments and changing out tires. My point was that for all the $$$ and effort it takes to try & get more power, the result is really not that much more power than stock. If more power is really what you're after, the $$$ may well be better spent on a more powerful bike.

What have YOUR results been, Steve?

Roadliner mileage log
shroomhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Shifting into fifth at 85MPH isn't anything special, All i've done was pipes and rejet and if you push it, shifting into fifth at that speed isn't that hard at all.

As others said, best way to get more power from a v-twin, is to go bigger.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve157

Call me what you will. I love tinkering with my bike. I have owned my bike for over three years. I have rejetted several times, messed with intakes/exhaust, changed the gearing, done ALL my own maintenance, including valve adjustments and changing out tires. My point was that for all the $$$ and effort it takes to try & get more power, the result is really not that much more power than stock. If more power is really what you're after, the $$$ may well be better spent on a more powerful bike.

What have YOUR results been, Steve?
shroomhead,

I am solidly in your camp! Aftermarket HP is very costly and I believe it usually degrades the value of your bike, unless....you can locate that select person that thinks your work is better than Hondas and is willing to take the chance of repair bills that will probably be prohibitive unless they're doing their own work.

These things aren't to be confused with cosmetics and acoustics. That's a different game.

Some things can be improved, like lighting, seats, instrumentation and creature comforts. These things add to the value and are readily noticeable.

However, I seriously doubt that an average rider could tell the difference (without another machine to compare to) between a motorcycle with 55 hp and one with 62 HP.

I would never discourage anyone from doing engine mods if they are doing them for the right reasons. Some people love to tinker, I did when I was young. I can understand, or sympathize with them, whichever the case may be. I certainly learned a lot from those experiments, and they definitely wern't all successful!

But the one lesson I learned is that I can buy HP cheaper and easier than I can make it!

John

John

2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 - Wife's

2002 Suzuki GSXR 600- Son's
Olivereaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to morepower

I am a tinkerer, it's in my blood. I plan to modify my stock exhaust and find out just what it's limits are. Also I plan to do the timing advance thing and probably rejet. When that's done I don't expect to see a huge increase in performance, because with stock cams and compression it just aint gonna happen. If I wanted a high horsepower, high revving bike I wouldn't have bought a shadow. I bought the shadow because I really like the look and I like the low end grunt of the v-twin. I like running 40 MPH in 5th gear without hurting anything.

Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

HardKromes, K&N, Bean Mod, 4* Timing Mod. Custom black metalflake
morepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement