Honda Shadow Forums banner

Got an oil leak, dunno where it's coming from

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PhantomRider64 
#1 ·
https://goo.gl/photos/XvuqajEy8WZq1pSC7

I don't see nay leaks when its just sitting there and only seems to come out when I am riding. You can see there is oil all over the key ignition and behind the engine as well. There also appears to be oil covering the powder coated black sprocket cover.

#5 ·
I did and I still cant seem to spot it. Appears to only drip when I am riding. Once, I cleaned it off and looked down occasionally to see where the drip was coming from. Couldn't see it but saw the drops on the sprocket cover. =\

#6 ·
One trick is to clean it very well with brake cleaner and dry it, and sprinkle baby powder on areas that may leak. If you can remove any covers that helps. Ride a short way and look for discolored powder. Works good .

#8 ·
Sorry for the late response, I've identified where the oil leak may be coming from. You will have to maximize the video to full screen to see the bubbling, but it is def clean oil coming out of it.
Edit: It appears to be leaking from the Rear engine hanger, part number 661058 50178-MR1-000, option 5 on bikebandit

#9 ·
I am no expert but it would seem to me that there should be no oil getting to that part internally. Possibly residual oil that has gotten into a cavity and vibration is causing it to "bubble".

However an easy fix if it leaking there would be to remove the bolt and look into the hole to see if there is indeed an oil passage in it. If there is I would use pipe dope on the threads and sealant on the mating surfaces of the parts.

If the bolt boss has developed an internal crack into an oil passage it will get expensive real fast. I hope that is not the case, As I said at the start I am no expert on bike motors,,,yet. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I will comment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.