Honda Shadow Forums banner

Mechanic help, bad stator? Bad battery? Heeeelp

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  jpr1968 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,
I'm having issues with my 06 VLX. It looses power intermittently, when it does the exhaust pops pretty hard and the turn signals and the headlight start flickering. Sometimes also when I turn the key on, the bike is dead until I shake it a little and everything comes on.
Same thing happens while I ride, sometimes everything works great, lights power and all... then it starts again to have problems for few miles. Then back to normal...
Bad battery? Bad stator? Bad wire connection?
I know she had problems in the past with the stator that wouldn't charge the battery...
Thanks everybody

#2 ·
Sounds like a bad connection or a short. Start at the battery. Are the leads tight? Trace wires and look for splits and check the connection of the 3 yellow stator wires.

#5 ·
If you can wiggle the key and that changes the running that is the first place to look. Maybe a bad contact in the switch or loose connector from the switch to the fuse block.

#9 ·
Stator connections wouldn't cause the problem at all. If the stator connections were bad, it would only effect the battery charge level and it wouldn't be intermittent. The problem would be in the ignition system. Start with battery connections and move into the ignition system from there.

What's the link in between battery and ignition. As I said in he previous answer, aren't the spark plugs powered by the magnetos? Sorry I'm not a mechanic, I'm learning as I go :)

#6 ·
Stator connections wouldn't cause the problem at all. If the stator connections were bad, it would only effect the battery charge level and it wouldn't be intermittent. The problem would be in the ignition system. Start with battery connections and move into the ignition system from there.

#7 ·
Sometimes also when I turn the key on, the bike is dead until I shake it a little and everything comes on.

If you have to wiggle the key to get things to light up the switch could be a culprit too.

RIDE ON !

If you can wiggle the key and that changes the running that is the first place to look. Maybe a bad contact in the switch or loose connector from the switch to the fuse block.

I read that as he was shaking the bike, not wiggling the key. Maybe he can clarify that.

#8 ·
yes, if I shake the whole bike or yank the handlebar abruptly it comes to life.
Now, this might sound a very dumb question: don't the spark plugs get their electricity to spark from the magnetos? So why if I have a bad battery also the ignition suffers from hat?
Cause if I turn the ignition ON and the bike stays dead, the bad connection must be around the battery right? and the turn signals/headlight flickering could be also be given by a bad battery/connection... but the problem is that when it happens also the engine skips a few beats (because no ignition?) and once it comes back it pops because of the unburned fuel in the cyl.

I'm getting lost.

#12 ·
Don't worry about the spark plugs yet until you have solid steady electrical power from the battery, fuses, ignition switch, etc. Then the spark plugs will be able to work also. Instead of wiggling the whole bike try to pinpoint the area affected when you do that. Try to pull, wiggle, and twist wire harnesses and connections until you see the loose connection area. Start by cleaning the battery posts.

#19 ·
Spark plugs are fired by the coils and the coils get there initial power from the battery and in many cases once the bike is running it will run off the power being generated by the stator, but if there is any break in the circuit, battery or stator, the bike will stop running. It really sounds like a bad connection, check the battery connections before you do anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.